The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with my tc pro hunter using blackhorn 209 and regular winchester 209 primers in cold weather. Im shooting 100 grains of powder. In warm weather it shoots like a dream. 3 shots touchin at 100 yards all day long. Once it got cold out It dont always go off. Pop out the primer out and it has gone off. During the last gun season it took 4 primers before the gun went off with a hang fire. Missed the deer at 55 yards with a wide open shot. The breech plug was cleaned the night before and was clean as a pin. I had the primers in one of those rubber primer holders and had three speedloaders with a primer in each. When the gun did finally go off, it was with a primer from the speedloader. Are the primers in the rubber holder drawing moisture where the speedloader primers are open to the air at all times? Does this powder need a magnum primer to ignite in cold weather? I clean the gun every night whether it was shot or not. I know blackhorn is not corrosive like black powder but I clean it anyway. Is this a common muzzleloader problem? Whats yalls thoughts? Any tips or suggestions? And before anybody asks, no I havent contacted Blackhorn about the problem. I just thought of it.

· Banned
5,425 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be moisture. Can't think of any other reason primers wouldn't go off. If you keep them in a sealed rubber holder, the air inside the holder will be the warm air in your house. Taking them into the cold can allow for condensation in the container. Try taking the primers and the container outside while it's cold, let them sit for a while in the cold air, then put them in the container. That will likely solve the problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am having trouble with my tc pro hunter using blackhorn 209 and regular winchester 209 primers in cold weather. Im shooting 100 grains of powder. In warm weather it shoots like a dream. 3 shots touchin at 100 yards all day long. Once it got cold out It dont always go off. Pop out the primer out and it has gone off. During the last gun season it took 4 primers before the gun went off with a hang fire. Missed the deer at 55 yards with a wide open shot. The breech plug was cleaned the night before and was clean as a pin. I had the primers in one of those rubber primer holders and had three speedloaders with a primer in each. When the gun did finally go off, it was with a primer from the speedloader. Are the primers in the rubber holder drawing moisture where the speedloader primers are open to the air at all times? Does this powder need a magnum primer to ignite in cold weather? I clean the gun every night whether it was shot or not. I know blackhorn is not corrosive like black powder but I clean it anyway. Is this a common muzzleloader problem? Whats yalls thoughts? Any tips or suggestions? And before anybody asks, no I havent contacted Blackhorn about the problem. I just thought of it.
i'll guess that the flash channel in your breechplug is clogged.use a 1/8" drill bit by hand[i glue one to a dowel] and carefully drill till you hit the flash hole.
then use a wire[i use a torch tip cleaner]your flash hole should be about .028 dia.i have used BH209 in my TCs down to 10 degrees with no problems.
i use standard blue box win. primers as they are the longest and seal the breech better.hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.