The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a replica colt 1847. Decent shape. Can't id the maker.

Cylinder says model usmr , patent no. Blank. Has various markings on the barrel and frame. But IT does not have a stamped 1847 on the right side of the frame like every other walker I have seen.

·
Premium Member
12,240 Posts
I'm fairly certain it is an Uberti but, there is guys on the board who can positively identify it. Be patient, they'll be around.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Look under the loading lever for a manufacturers mark. It's probably ASM. The grips aren't red enough to be Uberti and I think those are the only two Italian manufacturers that made Walkers. I know Pietta and Euroarms (ASP) didn't. There was a plethora of Italian gun makers in the 60's and 70's but AFAIK none of them made Walkers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanjs hawg! Its says black powder only made in Italy under the loading arm. I did find some very small writing on the cylinder, ""W.L Ormsby Sc Ny" ? Another stamp as well on left side.

·
Premium Member
12,240 Posts
Yeppers!!! Hawg nailed it!

Reactions: soundguy

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
....Don't have any further info for you, but just wanna say "BEAUTIFUL !"... wish I had one ..

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I will say one more thing regarding the Colt's patent number as per originals. Most people read it as a patent number when it should read.
Colt's patent
No. with the full or partial serial number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the identification hawg! Why would they have left the spot for the number blank on the cylinder after the "patent" ? Also no 1847 on frame like the others. Pure laziness or what?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Thanks for the identification hawg! Why would they have left the spot for the number blank on the cylinder after the "patent" ? Also no 1847 on frame like the others. Pure laziness or what?
I don't know but none of the Italian manufacturers that I know of put a number there. As for the 1847 some ASM's had it and some didn't. I think some of the earlier Uberti's didn't have it either.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
May I ask what you paid for it? I’ve always wanted a Walker or a Dragoon...but for some reason over the past 40 years or so new ones always seemed to be about $50 more than I was willing to spend at the time, and I never seemed to find a used one😎

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May I ask what you paid for it? I’ve always wanted a Walker or a Dragoon...but for some reason over the past 40 years or so new ones always seemed to be about $50 more than I was willing to spend at the time, and I never seemed to find a used one😎

I've got about $250 in this.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Good price. If I found a used Walker repro at that price in that shape I’d buy it. Problem is I only ever see new at $350-400 and used at $300+ and I always pass...

Have you shot it yet? I’m curious if the main knock on the original applies to the repro...the loading lever coming back under recoil. Which was why Colt redesigned the 1st Dragoon with the latch.

I’ve read in service they tied rawhide thongs over the barrel to keep them up. A rubber band might work better, allows you to see the front sight better😉

Believe it or not the Walker was the most powerful repeating handgun ever produced until the .357 magnum was invented in the 1930s!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you shot it yet? I’m curious if the main knock on the original applies to the repro...the loading lever coming back under recoil. Which was why Colt redesigned the 1st Dragoon with the latch.

I’ve read in service they tied rawhide thongs over the barrel to keep them up. A rubber band might work better, allows you to see the front sight better😉

Believe it or not the Walker was the most powerful repeating handgun ever produced until the .357 magnum was invented in the 1930s!

No sir, I bought the Asm and
a ruger old army also a pietta .36 over the weekend:). Can't find any powder or lead around my area to try it out.... ammo shortage in full swing in missouri.

·
Premium Member
12,240 Posts
Polish, yes sir, if you shoot full house or, even fairly heavy loads the rammer still drops down and ties up the cylinder. At least mine did. Lighter loads it stayed put but.....I always thought that defeated the purpose.

Reactions: Grizzley1

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Yep, the repos have the same problem as the originals as the rammer is of the same design. The quality of the steel is better so the problem of cylinders rupturing under full loads is gone. There is some debate about soldiers loading the Picket style bullets backwards because they were easier to seat them that direction that caused that problem.

Sam Colt solved it in the Dragoon models with a better rammer retaining clip and a shorter cylinder that only held 50 grains of powder instead of the Walkers 60 grain charge.

I've always wanted a Walker or a First model Dragoon but other things always required my discretionary money when I found one.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Yep, the repos have the same problem
I've always wanted a Walker or a First model Dragoon but other things always required my discretionary money when I found one.
I like the way you put that Griz! Much more eloquent than I would’ve put it. Like every time I’ve found one I either had spent all my money or I was too much of a cheapskate😎

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
No sir, I bought the Asm and
a ruger old army also a pietta .36 over the weekend:). Can't find any powder or lead around my area to try it out.... ammo shortage in full swing in missouri.
I still have a couple of pounds of FFFg from when I last bought some at Friendship. I also have a pound of pyrotechnics RS I stumbled onto on clearance at Wally World a couple of years ago. I haven’t shot my revolvers or my other Mloaders in a while, I guess I’m lucky.

I did buy some of those plastic nipple covers meant to keep the cap on, I haven’t tried yet. I’m hoping that will keep the fired ones on and not have them jam up the cylinder like what happens to my 1860 occasionally.

I have an 1860 Traditions and a brass frame CVA .36 Navy, that’s actually my son’s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts