The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on six years now, Damngato posted this pistol in sorry shape on CalGuns:
Colt 1862 Police? #6048 info needed - Calguns.net
Belongs to his grandma, and got "decommissioned" at one time for the kids to play cowboys and Indians.
I was still in recovery from the Colt Lightning pump .22 I got running for him, but took this on anyhow. about the same time I got it, the only real source for vintage parts was coltparts.com, and they vanished. Instructions were clean it up and make it look good enough for a display case. That conflicts with my motto, "I make it shoot, or it's parts".
Plan B, Italian repro parts. Two problems with that, everything that has threads, is metric, and their reproductions are 5-10% smaller. Inside was worse than the outside. Broken trigger/bolt spring, and the hand pivot shaft was snapped off.
The biggest problem was the bolt screw. Sits right next to the identical trigger screw, that came right out.
The bolt screw may as well been welded in place. I tried every trick in the book so I wouldn't have to drill it out. Heated, froze, heated frame and froze the screw, acetone soak, Kroil, and combinations of all of those. FYI, Kroil sucks, I have yet to have it penetrate any rusty threads.
Had to take it out in 3 pieces. 1st was the shaft inside the frame, next was the shaft end on the right side, that I had to hammer out with a pin punch.
The threaded head of the screw still wouldn't give it up. Used the hole in the frame for a guide, and drilled a hole through the bottom of the head.
Smallest EZ-Out wouldn't budge it. Justin4fun brought over a specialized EZ-Out, and it finally came out! The head is only 3mm in diameter, and I already drilled out 2mm!
Found an original screw, the repro spring was a drop in, and the repro hand, had a pivot shaft about .004 bigger than the hole in the hammer. Made that fit, slapped it back together, and it worked smooth as silk. It even timed perfectly. Repro wedge needed a little fitting, and a Colt wedge screw to keep it there.
The creeper loading lever and plunger are nowhere to be found. Took a chance on a repro, and it's just slightly smaller, not perfect, but it'll work.
The termite bait grips had to go. Repros were way to small. Originals? Just like the lever. Went through hundreds of ebay listings, and found a nice set listed as "Unknown revolver grips". Even talked him down on the price!:)
The gun looked much different than Gato's pics.
Barrel was a light brown patina, the cylinder was black, and the once color cased frame (after I cleaned it) was pretty much "in the white". Darkened the barrel to match the cylinder. If I used mosinvirus' cold blue fake color case, it would look like an aged Italian repro. Using his lead though, a little distilled water, and a Q-tip dipped in Oxpho-Blu, and using a net pic of a like worn Colt color case, the gun gods finally compensated me for the damned bolt screw.
Not having any .36 cal balls, I loaded up a custom sabot round consisting of a airsoft BB wrapped in a piece of paper towel. Accuracy was "minute of backyard", but it did make the neighbors dog finally stop barking.:)
Left to right; Broken hand, broken spring, third piece of the screw, and Gato's custom barrel wedge.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread! Very interesting read. I think you did a great job resurrecting it from the "parts" grave.

It may not be all original but is all functional now!

Regards,

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. The object was to just make it look nice for a wall mount display case. But it just rubs me wrong to do that much time into something, and not have it shoot. I previously did a Colt Lightning Small frame pump .22, that he was going to sell as a parts gun. It'll be handed down to his daughter now. Besides being beat up internally, it's a real pain to work on, and there wasn't even a schematic to be found. As a result of that, I did a "how to" pictorial on it. Got many email thanks from others trying to figure out the dis-assembly/re-assembly on that one.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top