Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

COLT 1873 SINGLE ACTION??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tom-In-Virginia, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Tom-In-Virginia

Tom-In-Virginia New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this site, but it looks like a good place for some expert advice. I bought a Colt a few years ago on a spur of the moment decision because it looked worth the price at the time. I probably got a little ahead of myself at the time and now I am doing some research to see what I've got. There is no model number showing, nor is there a caliber shown on the barrel. The gun appears to have holster wear that has worn down the lettering on the receiver end of the barrel, so I am not sure if the caliber marking was ever there.

Details on the gun are as follows: 7 ½ inch barrel, single action, single address line “COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG Co HAR... (Lettering worn off barrel after that), gun is all blue, patent info above trigger is “Pat Sept 19 1871 (second line) July 2 72 Jan 19 75”, serial number 332916, has a loading gate. In addition to the holster wear, the hammer will not hold a half-cocked position and the cylinder has a very slight amount of play when locked up. I removed the grips and found the following scratched on the inside surface of one grip: “Alaska, Mexco, China, India, U.S.”. I am posting pics.

I am trying to confirm a model number and approx value. I am guessing the caliber is 45 Long Colt, but haven't tried firing the gun. Also, is Colt still issuing factory letters now that they are in bankruptcy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    N31.JPG N32.JPG N33.JPG N34.jpg N35.JPG N36.JPG N37.JPG

2. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Must have been a Navy gun. Its seen the world.

Good luck with your investigation.

Tom-In-Virginia likes this.

3. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

Manuf date 1916, re-blued SAA in average condition 2500- 4100

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Tom-In-Virginia likes this.
  4. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

Yes Colt is still selling info letters, I think for yours $150. Your s/n indicates mfgr 1916. Gun shows refinish with heavy buffing damaging its markings & likely reason no caliber marking on left side of barrel. Value $1200 -1300.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member

So you have an expert range here from $1200 to $4100.
    Find the right buyer. Sort of like the stock market, think long term, maximum value.
    Or hang onto it and pass it down.

6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Just curious, what did you pay for it?

7. Tom-In-Virginia

Tom-In-Virginia New Member

Thanks for your info Makarov

Thanks for your info rhmc24. I hadn't considered the possibility that the wear was from buffing. The address line starts out strong, but fades away as the word "Hartford" starts and then you can't see anything after that. I assumed holster wear that occured before the gun was re-blued.

Low enough that I could make a profit today, high enough that I can't retire on the proceeds...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think you are close on value here. If it was original and clean much more.
    Around here this would be very high for this gun.

Hawg likes this.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Methinks would be very high anywhere. It has some pitting and the buffing job is horrendous.

sharps4590 likes this.