The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this site, but it looks like a good place for some expert advice. I bought a Colt a few years ago on a spur of the moment decision because it looked worth the price at the time. I probably got a little ahead of myself at the time and now I am doing some research to see what I've got. There is no model number showing, nor is there a caliber shown on the barrel. The gun appears to have holster wear that has worn down the lettering on the receiver end of the barrel, so I am not sure if the caliber marking was ever there.

Details on the gun are as follows: 7 ½ inch barrel, single action, single address line "COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG Co HAR... (Lettering worn off barrel after that), gun is all blue, patent info above trigger is "Pat Sept 19 1871 (second line) July 2 72 Jan 19 75", serial number 332916, has a loading gate. In addition to the holster wear, the hammer will not hold a half-cocked position and the cylinder has a very slight amount of play when locked up. I removed the grips and found the following scratched on the inside surface of one grip: "Alaska, Mexco, China, India, U.S.". I am posting pics.

I am trying to confirm a model number and approx value. I am guessing the caliber is 45 Long Colt, but haven't tried firing the gun. Also, is Colt still issuing factory letters now that they are in bankruptcy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Knife Tool Utility knife
Material property Pen Bicycle part

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yes Colt is still selling info letters, I think for yours $150. Your s/n indicates mfgr 1916. Gun shows refinish with heavy buffing damaging its markings & likely reason no caliber marking on left side of barrel. Value $1200 -1300.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you have an expert range here from $1200 to $4100.
Find the right buyer. Sort of like the stock market, think long term, maximum value.
Or hang onto it and pass it down.
Thanks for your info Makarov

Yes Colt is still selling info letters, I think for yours $150. Your s/n indicates mfgr 1916. Gun shows refinish with heavy buffing damaging its markings & likely reason no caliber marking on left side of barrel. Value $1200 -1300.
Thanks for your info rhmc24. I hadn't considered the possibility that the wear was from buffing. The address line starts out strong, but fades away as the word "Hartford" starts and then you can't see anything after that. I assumed holster wear that occured before the gun was re-blued.

Just curious, what did you pay for it?
Low enough that I could make a profit today, high enough that I can't retire on the proceeds...

·
Premium Member
20,768 Posts
I think you are close on value here. If it was original and clean much more.
Manuf date 1916, re-blued SAA in average condition 2500- 4100
Around here this would be very high for this gun.

Reactions: Hawg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts