The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasnt too familiar with 1911s until the last week or so. A buddy of mine gave me his gun to tinker with to see if I could fix his thumb safety. The problem is that the thumb safety is stuck in the fire position. It is an ambidextrous safety. I cannot move the safety in between fire and safe to wiggle it free. While trying to get it off the "lefty" side of the safety seemed to move a bit more and somehow the slotted part of the sear pin that hold that side of the safety broke off. I have another sear pin on the way but really does no good if I can't remove the other side of the safety to be able to replace it. I've taped up pliers and tried to use a little more force...nothing. Yes the hammer is back. I had someone tell me to pull and hold the hammer all the way back and to use plier to force the safety into that "mid position", he also said he would leaves some burs but I'm afraid to do that and risk damaging anything internal and making matters worse. I made a short youtube video so people can get a better idea with what I'm dealing with. Please check it out and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Here is the link (may have to copy and paste)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts