Colt 1989/1994 question

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Banjo
    (10/21/02 6:41:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Colt 1989/1994 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and even after reading through the messages here I'm still confused. Could someone give me the rundown on the basic rules concerning pre-'89 and pre-'94 model Colt AR-15's? I understand what a "post-ban" rifle is, but if it was made before 9/94, what's the difference?

Thanks,

A Newb

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/21/02 6:53:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt 1989/1994 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Money and model styles. Colt has several ban cut offs.

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/21/02 9:37:31 pm)
    the ones made after 9-14-94 have no flash suppresser , or bayonet lug ,or folding stock and legally you can only use the ten round mags

in 89 some companies voluntarily complied with the up and coming band , I am not for sure all of the detail with each manufacturer

you cannot put a pre-ban{94} upper on a post ban lower , not only is it illegal the pins are different

hope this helps

welcome to the firearms forum banjo

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/21/02 10:08:41 pm)
    No ten round magazine rule on these rifles, unless state mandated.

LTS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/22/02 1:21:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Colt 1989/1994 question
    The '89 ban was mainly an import ban of firearms from
    other countries i.e. China imported firearms that consisted
    of firearms with flash hiders, folding/collapsable stocks, etc,.

The same wasn't implemented into U.S. firearms until the Sept.
    '94 "Cliton" crime bill/so-called assault weapons ban, which in
    effect banned any further manufacture of U.S. mfg'd firearms
    consisting of the above etc,.

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Banjo
    (10/22/02 9:52:23 am)
    Thanks for the replies,

I'm aware of what Colt did to their own guns in '89. The thing that confuses me is that I keep hearing that there are things you can do to a pre-'89 that you can't do to a pre-'94/post-'89.

Say I have an older SP-1 and a Blue Label Sporter that was produced by Colt with flash suppressor, no bayonet lug and a pinned block in the lower receiver. Is it illegal to put certain uppers on one but not the other even though they're both "pre-ban"? This is where I'm confused...

Thanks again,

Banjo

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/22/02 10:08:01 am)
    If the rifle is pre 1994, it was classified as an assualt weapon. This would be a Blue Label Colt. Once classified as such, it always is and you can do as you please......once a preban, always a preban......add at your leisure. Regards

LTS

Banjo
    (10/24/02 6:39:34 pm)
    Thanks again for the info.

Banjo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.