The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Does it say Colt anywhere on that gun? Or are you assuming if the Colt because it has Colt grips on it?

The cylinder looks wrong to me. I suspect an Eibar copy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The cylinder looks like the 1892/New Army/Double Action, and the cylinder latch is appropriate. The 32 WCF on the barrel looks too nice for an Eibar, and I can't believe anyone but Colt could build a working example of that action.lol.
But I don't see a pony on the frame or a Colt on the barrel. It looks like CZ. before the caliber. lol Let's see what others think.

·
Super Moderator
40,189 Posts
I see what looks like the Colt (pony) emblem on the left side, very faint, just above the grip panel. I thought it was a "double image" of the emblem on the grip but it is in all three pictures of the left side.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
The cylinder looks like the 1892/New Army/Double Action
Serial number 10,000 starts in 1893. With a four digit serial number it could not have a patent date of 1895.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable enough about the Eibar copies and I can't tell if that's a Colt or an Eibar. IF you're talking about modern factory ammo, yes, you can shoot it, if it's a Colt. If it's an Eibar, I believe I'd hang it on the wall.

When you say "rifle ammo", to what exactly are you referring to? Before the war there was ammo loaded for the 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 that was loaded specifically for rifles and of too high pressure for revolvers. I would think it pretty scarce these days.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Alpo if you are talking about that number on the cylinder release, I don't think it is the serial number or even part of it. The serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame. That's of course if it's a Colt as you have pointed out, it may not be. And those grips are of a much later date, mid 1900's.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Alpo if you are talking about that number on the cylinder release, I don't think it is the serial number or even part of it.
I never heard of a serial number there either, but I was going by the number that the OP gave.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeh Shrek, I was wondering about that too. Don't have a Colt book anymore. Had to return it to it's owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This resolver has been in the family for I don't know how long. I got it from my Grandfather several years ago. I has never been refinished. The Colt horse is on the upper but. I found the Sel.# on the bottom of the but. 264157. This is the holster that came with the revolver. Enlarge the photo's to see more detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
The cylinder looks like the 1892/New Army/Double Action, and the cylinder latch is appropriate. The 32 WCF on the barrel looks too nice for an Eibar, and I can't believe anyone but Colt could build a working example of that action.lol.
But I don't see a pony on the frame or a Colt on the barrel. It looks like CZ. before the caliber. lol Let's see what others think.
I just been thoroughly examining WHB Smith's Book of Pistols and Revolvers. The only thing that it possibly could be is the 1892 New Army Navy Marine. The cylinder is right and the caliber is right.

By the serial number, it would have been made in 1906.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
I don't believe Colt manufactured the 1892 in .32-20. It was only chambered in .38 Long Colt and .41 Long Colt.
The pertinent section from Smith's Handbook of Pistols and Revolvers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The pertinent section from Smith's Handbook of Pistols and Revolvers.

Very interesting. I didn't know of that model. It has the characteristic cylinder stop notches of the 1892, but never thought they would chamber one in .32-20. The barrel looks longer than 3".

The .41 LC has more power than the .38 LC and .32-20, wonder what the purpose of this model was.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
It was a longer page. I cropped it, hoping that would make the gun pictures bigger. Unfortunately it did not. And I cut off the rest of the listed barrel lengths.

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Let's see if I can put the picture in this one.

Ah, success.

Attachments

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first one showed up just fine, all you have to do is click on it and it enlarged.
Thank you so much for the info. due to all that is going on in this country. I though I would get this old revolver out. I have know idea as to what it is. I've looked for ammo and found out there is none. I have had this revolver for over 20 years. Thank you for the info. Will any 32-20 WCF ammo work with revolver??

·
Super Moderator
40,189 Posts
Thank you so much for the info. due to all that is going on in this country. I though I would get this old revolver out. I have know idea as to what it is. I've looked for ammo and found out there is none. I have had this revolver for over 20 years. Thank you for the info. Will any 32-20 WCF ammo work with revolver??
What info? I was quoting Alpo and telling him that his first picture showed up. Sorry, but I know nothing about 32-20 ammo.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The serial number you provided indicates 1906 as the year of manufacture. I believe 1905 is the year Colt started proofing for smokeless. The .32-20 is not a very powerful round, so I don't think modern ammunition should be a problem.

These revolvers have a design flaw regarding the rotation of the cylinder. This action rotates counterclockwise which puts stress on the crane. It gradually pushes the crane out of the frame when the cylinder is rotated. The wear on the crane and often causes the 1892's to go out of time. They can become dangerous to fire if there is too much play in the crane, so you should have it checked out by a competent gunsmith before attempting to fire it.

Colt later fixed this by having rhe cylinder rotate clockwise so it pushes the crane back into the frame.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts