The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum and was needing some expert advice. I have a friend who is selling a 1995 Colt post ban AR15 Match Target HBAR. He is thinking around $600 and I am thinking I should snag it at that price. But I have talked to some and they say it is only worth around $400-$500, but I have seen them listed as high as $1200. Just some help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
If you didn't know him: Try to see if you can have the gun evaluated. There could be lots of wear. May be he ran thousands of hot loads thru it and the throat is iffy, etc. May be he cleans like pappy and did it all wrong and the accuracy was left out on the range. May be he ran a ton of bump fire thru it so he could cook hot dogs on it.
Since he's your friend and I would suppose he is making you a good deal, then if that price is the market value in your area, go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a Colt A2 Govt Model HBAR that I would not let go of for less that $1500, if I ever would let it go!
Ok, thanks!

If you didn't know him: Try to see if you can have the gun evaluated. There could be lots of wear. May be he ran thousands of hot loads thru it and the throat is iffy, etc. May be he cleans like pappy and did it all wrong and the accuracy was left out on the range. May be he ran a ton of bump fire thru it so he could cook hot dogs on it.
Since he's your friend and I would suppose he is making you a good deal, then if that price is the market value in your area, go for it.
Ya I'm thinking I'll go ahead and buy it. I do know he bought it new in 1995 and he said he's only shot 30 rds through it. It's very clean. Been sitting in his safe pretty much since then.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Ya I'm thinking I'll go ahead and buy it. I do know he bought it new in 1995 and he said he's only shot 30 rds through it. It's very clean. Been sitting in his safe pretty much since then.
If as stated that's a fine rifle and $600 is a good deal. I don't NEED another AR but if that deal came my way I wouldn't hesitate. Some will argue that the market is so low that you could get something for less brand new, true but an older colt will be worth more as time passes.
If Hillary had won you would be lucky to get that same rifle for less than $2500 IMHO
FYI a buddy bought that exact rifle 20 + years ago and paid $900 as I recall. It was a fine accurate gun....

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Heck, if it is a Match grade Colt and only had 30 rounds ran thru it and he's asking $600 for the rifle - the only thing that would beat me back to his house to buy it are the lights on my pick up.

If you buy it, it will be YOUR rifle, but please, don't go and 'Rambo' that Match Colt up. They are sweet rifles (Just like the Good Lord and Colt made them) and don't need a bunch of after market doo-dads hanging off of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If as stated that's a fine rifle and $600 is a good deal. I don't NEED another AR but if that deal came my way I wouldn't hesitate. Some will argue that the market is so low that you could get something for less brand new, true but an older colt will be worth more as time passes.
If Hillary had won you would be lucky to get that same rifle for less than $2500 IMHO
FYI a buddy bought that exact rifle 20 + years ago and paid $900 as I recall. It was a fine accurate gun....
I think he paid about the same. I know he said he bought it like 20 yrs ago. I'm looking at it as an investment. Not gonna spruce it up at all.

Heck, if it is a Match grade Colt and only had 30 rounds ran thru it and he's asking $600 for the rifle - the only thing that would beat me back to his house to buy it are the lights on my pick up.

If you buy it, it will be YOUR rifle, but please, don't go and 'Rambo' that Match Colt up. They are sweet rifles (Just like the Good Lord and Colt made them) and don't need a bunch of after market doo-dads hanging off of them.

Lol. Well ya don't have to worry. I have no plans to adding a bunch of crap to it. Going to leave it stock. I have one of those already

·
Garandaholic
9,558 Posts
I do know he bought it new in 1995 and he said he's only shot 30 rds through it. It's very clean. Been sitting in his safe pretty much since then.
If that's truly the case and it's been stored properly, I'd pay $600 for it. Yes, the market is low these days, but IMHO there's a slight amount of cachet with that rifle.
I also wholeheartedly agree with other posters that say to keep it just like it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
600 is a good deal for that model...BTW-There's NO such thing as pre/post ban anymore,except in the eyes of people that paid outrageous prices in the 94-04 period,they were dumb.
Actually there is a difference, the post ban doesn't have a threaded barrel or flash hider. While you might think it's a none issue it makes the gun itself unique and many seek them as collectable for the future!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Actually there is a difference, the post ban doesn't have a threaded barrel or flash hider. While you might think it's a none issue it makes the gun itself unique and many seek them as collectable for the future!
A true Colt collector may be interested but I don't know anyone else that does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts