The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom has asked me to sell her Colt model 1861 (marked 1862) civil war rifled musket. Thought I'd run it buy you guys to see what I should be asking for this piece of history.

We have the enlistment and discharge papers (copies of the New Yorker that carried the weapon). There is some illegable writing on one side of the stock, of the writing only a large A can be made out (the soldier was assigned to Company A). Other than that the gun seems to be complete and in very good to excellant condition and complete to the bayonette and sling.

Any guidence on value, places to sell ETC. would be much appreciated. I want to do well by my Mom.

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more detailed pics

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don't see too many of those for sale, but unless there is something I don't see (or don't know) I would make a WAG at $5000 or so. Note that that is a retail value, not what a dealer would pay for it.

Few ordinary gun shops will take on antique guns. If there are gun shows in your area, you might try there, or it might be worthwhile to take a table just to sell that one item. If you have any other Civil War or antique arms or equipment, you might do all right.

You could also contact gun auction companies (Rock Island Auctions, James Julia) to gauge their interest, or just put it up on one of the auction sites on the net.

Jim

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Flayderman's Guide 9th Edition lists value range of $1500-$3750.

If you can provide notarized confirmation of the New Yorker's Civil War use and his service record, it should add a premium.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much gents, very encouraging. I contacted a dealer in New York to see how much interest he would have.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thank you very much gents, very encouraging. I contacted a dealer in New York to see how much interest he would have.
You might try Cowan auctions--check out the web site, they do alot of CW-related auctions, as well as Antique Roads Show appraisals. And if you have solid provenance--can positively tie the soldier to the gun--you really have something.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ah... I would suggest almost anybody but Cowan's, that is unless you don't mind loosing your shirt. He does ok on somethings and pretty good on others, but it's generally a good idea to go elsewhere for firearms auctions. Just a suggestion....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts