The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering buying a .45 acp. But dont know which is the better gun. Colt commander series 70 .45 acp or Colt government series 70 .45 acp. Or is there a better built by another manufacturer. I have never owned a pistol. All my handguns are revolvers From S&W. Which ever i buy will Hydra Shok ammo work in it?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The Commander is a shorter and lighter version of the Colt Government Model, which is simply the old military M1911A1 in civilian dress.

Variations and "improvements" in that platform have become something of a cottage industry, with a dozen or so companies producing clones and copies, both domestic and imported. Most folks prefer one or another, but given reasonably equal qualilty and reliability it mostly becomes a matter of personal preference and/or choices in features like sights, material (carbon steel or stainless), and finish.

That being said, Colt guns are excellent, though often overlooked by fans of other brands. I suggest that if at all possible you visit any well stocked gun shop to see and handle several makes with different features and see which you like.

Most modern versions will function with nearly any kind of ammunition, but there really is no way to be certain except to try an individual gun and a specific ammo.

Jim

·
Registered
518 Posts
I assume you are looking at used guns? Series 80 Colts are newer and of current manufacture. Series 70 are fine, and some prefer them. Other clone manufacturers are now replicating the Series 80, which have a different safety mechanism than the Series 70.

The government model, being larger and heavier, might handle recoil better than the commander. The government model replicates the original 1911, while the smaller commander is a more recent incarnation.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I am not sure whether Colt now makes the Commander in other than the 1991 series; best check a current catalog or go to their web site.

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colt .45 acp

Which Colt .45 ACP would be the better S70 Commander or S70 Government.
Or would a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 .45 ACP be better. I have no clue i have never had a pistol. All my hand guns are S&W revolvers. Also can you fire hydra shok ammo in any of these guns?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My compliments on wisely choosing a Colt. The 70 series model will not only serve you and your heirs faithfully for a lifetime, but it will always increase in value, as is not the case with the countless clones which have come on the market. This is not to say that the clones can't do a completely satisfactory job, it's just that the Colt is an American legend which will always be in demand, especially if left in entirely stock condition.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Re: Colt .45 acp

It really does depend on your intended use and budget, so give some more info. Both Colt and SA make good pistols. I assume you know, but the barrel length on the gov't and commander models differ by about an inch. As to your last question, yes.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts

i've been having fun with an old ballester molina and some gi surplus mags.

great shooting gun!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

i'm biased towards Springfield Armory, great pistols!

A nice loaded or TRP will do you well for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

Or would a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 .45 ACP be better. I have no clue i have never had a pistol. All my hand guns are S&W revolvers. Also can you fire hydra shok ammo in any of these guns?
How much money are you planning to spend?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these brands listed, but I am biased toward Springfield as well. I own a Loaded. Really nice weapon. Just has a few more of the extras added from the Mil-Spec. Depends on if you want the extras or not. Otherwise the Mil-Spec has everything you need.

·
Registered
95 Posts

There's one thing you need to know about a Colt...it's a COLT, man!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Advice is 'Depends'. You going to shoot it a lot or mostly a SD gun and occasional plinker, the smaller gun will be accurate and just as useful as the big gun.

Going to do some serious target practice and maybe some competition get the big gun, your hand and arm will thank you at the end of the day and it will hold up a bit better under full load hardball ammo.

I like both, my brother has one of each and I shoot them equally well but the Commander really should be shot with lighter bullets, preferably target loads for the amount of shooting it gets.

I'm no gunsmith but it has been my experience that the Commander just won't hold up as well for a heavy shooter like I am but most shooters won't put enough rounds through it to ever notice the difference.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Old Trucker: The full sized, steel frame gun - the original Colt Government Model or M1911 configuration - is a great all around pistol for defense, targets or small game.

The (lightweight) Commander is an alloy frame pistol with a slide and barrel about 3/4 inch shorter manufactured for concealment. (It is about 12 ounces lighter.) The Combat Commander is a steel frame pistol with the shorter slide and barrel. (Some folks like the balance of the Combat Commander; I find them neither fish nor fowl.)

Those are the Colt designations, without regard to 'pre-Series 70', 'Series 70', 'Series 80' or whatever they're on now. Most of the other brands who build copies have copies of these, more or less.

For a general purpose pistol, the full steel frame pistol is probably the best. If your primary purpose is personal carry, the lightweight Commander can be useful. Of course, the full sized gun has been carried by many as a hideout gun as well. One simply dresses for it and wears an appropriate belt and possibly suspenders.

I do not care for the Series 80 pistols (and copies) as I see no need or use for the 'firing pin safety'. Others disagree and find them comforting.

I prefer the Colt brand. However, Springfield Armory makes an excellent performing copy of the basic Government Model, but with better sights. (They are still fixed, but they are a bit taller and wider than the original and hence easier to use.) Probably all of them are functional and usable, I can speak only for the Colts and Springfields from experience.

My only credential in the matter is that I have owned and carried a Government Model pistol or Commander for the last 45 years, give or take.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Commander...........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts