The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a colt 38 revolver and I'm looking to learn more about the gun and maybe some tips on how to clean it up without harming the gun.

On the barrel I can just make out on the side of it where it says Colt D.A. 38. The first 3 digits of the serial number on the crane and frame is 421 and is a 5 digit serial number and below the number on the frame it also has a small D punched into the frame. Any information on this is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can look up your serial number here: Colt's Manufacturing LLC
I looked it up and it gives 32 results and most of the ones I looked up that are 38 DA nothing matches exactly. I've seen several New Army and New Navy models that have the colt logo that matches but the grip is slightly different and there's no serial number on the butt that I can see, that's where I get bit confused because I've found other models that match the colt logo but the grips are also slightly different and the cylinder release is slightly different.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I believe your gun is a Colt Police Positive 38. That is what would be on the barrel left side. They were marked in a weird manner Colt then Police over Positive, with the bottom of the Police touching the.top of the Positive, then 38 I believe the caliber is 38NP (New Police). That was Colt's version of the 38 S&W, and they are interchangeable. They are not 38 Special. The trigger guard on your has an elliptical shape that was part of D frame revolvers. Colt also made a Police Positive Special. The frame is longer and also the cylinder to accommodate the 38 Special. The overall length of a 38 Special is about 1.45". Measure you cylinder and see how long it is. The length of the 38 S&W is shorter. It is also a few thousandths bigger in diameter. Usually when a Colt is marked DA38 it is a 38 Long Colt. It falls between the above rounds in length and is the same diameter as the 38 Special. The police Positive came out around 1908 and was made up into the 1970's I think. You may have to take it to a gun smith to find out the caliber. They are fine reliable guns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts