The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon to all.

I recently acquired a revolver from my grandfather who passed. The barrel has DA 41 printed on it and the numbers on the base of the grip are:91-557. Near the chamber the number 496 is printed and after some basic research it looks like it is a New Army/Navy 1892 manufactured in 1898. I'd like to be sure I know what I ma dealing with and what the value may be as well to whether or not I can find ammunition for it.

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any guidance as to what information to post and how to post it better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
It's black powder forget about ammo. Mfg between 1898-99
Depending on condition $500-600

I have 147945 Mfg 1900-01

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I suppose it is just an heirloom now.

Does anyone know the history of these weapons? My grandfather was a combat cameraman during WW2 and I am wondering if this was something that may have been issued to him.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
He may have carried it as a personal weapon that was owned by him, but no, he was not issued it. He would have been issued a 1911 .45ACP, .41 Colt was never a military cartridge..

·
Registered
286 Posts
The army issued a lot of different pistols, but the New Army wasn't one of them. They were also made from about 1896 up until 1907 when the Army Special (in the Same calibers 41 Long Colt) replaced it. In 1929 or so the Army Special changed it's name to the Official Police. 41 Colts were manufactured right up until the early 70's and are still made by some specialty loaders. The stuff from Winchester was loaded with smokeless and launched a 200 grain slug at about 700 - 750 FPS. The 41 is one of the last of the cartridges that originally used a heeled bullet (like our current .22's). In the late 1890's or early 1900's the ammo manufacturers changed the bullet to .386 diameter with a hollow base - like your 12 gauge shot gun slugs. the idea was the slugs skirts would expand to fill the bore. You can load the empty cases with a primer and wax bullets if you just want to hear it go bang and see a hole in paper. Or you can order specially loaded black powder rounds but they will cost you about $100 for a box of 20 - 5-0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the excellent information. I also found a box of bullets that were, according to my mother, with the weapon. Would these be the correct type? They seem to fit the chamber.

photo-3.JPG

Thanks again,

Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes, that box is for the ammunition made for that gun. Very few guns were made for it after about 1920, and it has been many years since any has been manufactured, so your box is collector's item in itself.

Now that I think of it, though, some 41 Long Colt ammo may be made for cowboy action shooters, who like to use vintage guns when possible. You might check and see if the Black Hills ammo company loads it. If they do, it would be a light load, and completely safe in your gun. You could probably get some by mail order - but the cost of shipping ammo is steep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great. Thanks for responding.

I'm considering putting it on some kind of display. Any suggestions on who does that sort of thing? It would be for my personal display.

Thank You

1 - 8 of 8 Posts