Colt HBAR Match Target.

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by Steven Zeigler, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Steven Zeigler

Steven Zeigler Member

I was just on ********* looking at the Colt HBAR Match Target .223. rifle which is a twin to mine. One of the vendors there said, "This rifle is specified as a .223 but will function properly with 5.56 as well." Is this a fact or just someone's opinion?

2. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Fact is what is marked on barrel.I believe the Match Target barrels are .223.

howlnmad likes this.

3. Steven Zeigler

Steven Zeigler Member

Zant,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is Marked .223 and I've read many times that 5.56 is NOT SAFE to shoot in a .223 rifle. I have plenty of .223 but wanted to know if this guy on the other site was just blowing smoke.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

5. Steven Zeigler

Steven Zeigler Member

Thanks Moody,
    I was aware of all of this. Good article BTW. I was referencing this particular rifle. I thought when I read his statement that it sounded pretty fishy. Another question for you all: Does accuracy degrade when using .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56? If it does degrade, by how much? 10%, 20%, 50%?

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't think it degrades at all but that is just my thought. I don't see why it would, myself. The last two I built, I just used a Wylde so I wouldn't have to think about that!

howlnmad likes this.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

The only thing that might change is what twist the barrel has as that will effect bullet weights. You have 1-7 and 1-9 depending on the barrel...... marked "colt model number" on the magazine well.

8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Fantastic article - George! I've never hade it explained anywhere as clearly as this. Thank you.

gdmoody likes this.
  9. Steven Zeigler

Steven Zeigler Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

10. Hummer

Hummer Well-Known Member

I too have read the tales of instant devastation from a 5.56 round run in a 223 chamber and made a call several years back to the tech guy at East Alton (Winchester ammo plant) and he tells everyone that tells him that, to show him the 223 weapon that was blown to H&G with a round of 5.56MM. So until I experience it myself or see it done in my presence I am not buying the hoopla.

I also have a bet you can make. For every round of US MILSPEC 5.56 I fire in my ARs or Mod 70 or Savage 223 and it doesn't blow up you give me 100.00. For every rifle that blows up with US MILSPEC ammo I will give you 100.00. I want you to bring at least $10,000.00 cash haha.

Now military ammo will take out a barrel quicker that a lot of 223 ammo and that is because the WC846 propellant milspec ammo is loaded with is very erosive on barrels. It will not cause a barrel to have a catastrophic failure but will eat the throat out fairly quickly.

When I ran the test to qualify the M16A2 Candidates I noted groups opening up at 1200 rounds, at 2400 round more. At 3600 rounds a big jump in dispersion.
    At 4800 rounds they were right at rejection and requirement was 12,000 rounds.
    I stopped the testing and after a conference I reconducted same run and another run with SS109 ammo loaded by FN in Belgium and all barrels were just in spec at 12,000 rounds.

Also you may experience a failure to fire with civilian ARs as may civilian 223 rifles are made to SAAMI specs which calls for .016" Striker indent on coppers where the milspec rifles calls for .022" indent due to the heavier primer cups on 5.56 ammo. Primers have to be hit pretty well center, hard and fast. the only primer requiring more energy to ignite besides MILSPEC 5.56 is the .50 BMG rounds.

Oh yeah I did catastrophic failure investigations on M16s for the Gov't and I never saw a M16 or heard of a failure due to a overpressure round in M16 or AR commercial. Now we had case failures but never had a incident of lug shear or barrel failure.

There was a rash of pierced primers on reloaded ammo back in the 90s as guys did not realize there was such a thing as milspec primers available to load with. I kept writing about the MILSPEC primers being the way to go and I have not heard of such in last several years.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018