Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Colt Mis-Stamp

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Zilmo, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Zilmo

Zilmo New Member

Can anyone help me with a value on this Colt? It has a Star Spangled Banner inscription on one side, and a Baltimore Maryland inscription on the other side. Obviously Colt wanted it back, as per the letter dated 1981.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I kept blowing that letter up, trying to figure out what that word was. Third line. "indeed a ????? according to our custom shop". Never did figure that out, but noticed that, in the second paragraph, first line, it says, "we here at colt feel". Not "Colt", "colt". I find it difficult to believe that a secretary would let that go by - the name of the business in lower case. And speaking of secretary, where are her initials? According to how they taught me to type a business letter, back in the 70s, there should be, in the lower left corner, RVG/xx. The xx would be the secretary's initials. And since when does a business letter have a date written like that? I was also taught not to use abbreviations in the letter. Like "Colt Gov't".

I suspect the letter is a fake.

3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Active Member

Can anyone help me with a value on this Colt? It has a Star Spangled Banner inscription on one side, and a Baltimore Maryland inscription on the other side. Obviously Colt wanted it back, as per the letter dated 1981.

Dang that serial number, when was it made??? And who stamped it??

4. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

My monitor has very high resolution. Alpo. I've looked at the letter over and over, and it appears that the word in the third line is "misstamp". I also agree with your thoughts on the construction of the letter.

5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i'll attempt to post a letter i have from colt. it looks nothing like the one pictured in this post. i also think it wouldn't request a return to a colt dealer but rather right to the factory.

6. Silver72

Silver72 Member

Probably a commemorative for something in the State of Maryland. I've not seen a Colt 1911A1 with a serial number starting with an "F". It has a 1911 flat main spring housing, a short trigger and trigger relief cuts. The sights are not Colt.

Strange word at the end of the 3rd Paragraph.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. Danny

Danny Member

Do you guys think that is a fake letter trying to increase the value of the pistol? Remember its a dog eat Obama world out there?
    Danny:eek:

8. Silver72

Silver72 Member

What is mis-stamped about the gun? Where did the letter come from? Are you the one they claimed called them with a question in 1981?

Strange things were put on commemorative firearms. They usually don't bring half, at auction, as someone paid when they were new.

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think so.

If you had a 1st Generation Single Action Army, you have a gun worth a couple of grand. If you also have a letter, purporting to be from Colt, saying it was sent to John Henry Holiday, in Tombstone Arizona, in August of 1881, it would be worth quite a bit more.

10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The letter has no date. Trust me, there is no such thing as a genuine business letter without a date. Also, with a company the size of Colt, there is no way that a simple misstamp on a fairly run-of-the-mill product would ever cross the desk of the CEO. At best this would be handled by some sort of customer service manager.

11. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

the more crazy thing is the guy that posted it hasn't even posted back on it?

12. Silver72

Silver72 Member

We have no idea what the Maryland inscription says, or looks like. A closeup pic of it would tell us what about the State it commemorated.

13. Silver72

Silver72 Member