Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Colt Model 1899 DA .41 Revover

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

radartk
    (3/28/02 7:34:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Colt D.A. 41 Pistol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Folks,
    I have an old COLT D.A. 41 pistol. On the other side of the barrel is:
    COLT'S PT F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
    PATENTED AUG. 5th1884 NOVEMBER 6th1888

Any help on the worth and heritage would be appreciatted.
    TK in Tn

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 11:30:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt D.A. 41 Pistol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please list all the inscriptions on the bottom of the grip handle.

I'm leaning toward one of the variants of the Model 1889, so far.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

radartk
    (3/29/02 7:53:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt D.A. 41 Pistol
    Your correct!! I looked on the bottom of the grip butt and there are 4 numbers 2 over 2 as follows:
    Also, I noticed when the chamber is swung down for reloading there are more numbers on the frame itself, these appear to be:
    any help on this would be greatly appeciated.
    Thanks, TK in TN

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 8:35:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt D.A. 41 Pistol
    8996 is the serial number, which makes it a Model 1889 actually manufactured in late 1890.

The numbers inside the crane are assembly numbers.

This gun is a fragile design and really should not be shot, even with black powder .41 Colt loads. Colt made several modifications to the basic gun, and actually converted quite a few 1889's to the updated 1895 version. You can tell if this is done by trying to operate the gun with the cylinder open - if the hammer will not go back, it has been modified.

These early DA Colts have recently developed considerable collector interest. Pristine original condition specimens will bring $2000 or more in the right circles. The money drops off fast, though, as condition deteriorates.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!