Colt Model 1903 Pocket Pistol Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wng-2, May 19, 2020.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Active Member

Hi, a friend has a Colt Model 1903 Pocket pistol .32 Auto that he got from his Dad.
    Manufactured in 1920 per the serial number. He's not a gun guy, but he said he was having malfunctions.Sounded like the brass was getting hung up in the slide and not ejecting. I tried it both round nose and hollow point ammo, and did not have that issue.I can't imagine he would be limp wristing a .32? I did notice however that the slide catch/safety was going into the safe position a significant percentage of time after firing. If I held it down, it would fire all eight rounds without issue. Any ideas about this? The other question I have is, after finding out via Youtube how to field strip it, This firearm has no guide rod. Is it suppose to? Thanks very much.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. Part #27
    Colt_32380PktHammerless_schem.jpg

IMG_20200519_120818.jpg

It's a very tight fit in the spring, and is difficult to remove.

IMG_20200519_120915.jpg
    It has a 2" long shaft,
    IMG_20200519_120845.jpg

And is ¼" diameter.

If you can't find one at used parts places, you can make one from a 50d common nail. Cut it down to a shade over 2 inches long, degrease it, sand it as smooth as possible, degrease it again, heat it red-hot and drop it in oil.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Numrich has the part for $9.50.

5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

If this is the same pistol in the other post about 'Value" - it hasn't been used or fired much (if at all). Some .32 ACP ammo is quite under powered. That may be part of your issue in not properly cycling. The slide catch is another story. It could be hanging up simply because it isn't broken-in yet. Also, there is the possibility that you are inadvertently riding it up with your thumb when you fire the weapon.

There should be some how-to U-Tube videos or printed manuals available. A lot of folks these days bad mouth the .32 ACP. It isn't and never was an elephant gun - but European police and military used it for years with good effect.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    wng-2 likes this.
  6. wng-2

wng-2 Active Member

Yes, same gun as I asked value on. I fired both hollow point and round nose without cycling issues. Just the safety going on issue. I am curious as to whether all these had guide rods. I ordered one per Gdmoody's suggestion above.

jim brady likes this.
  7. wng-2

wng-2 Active Member

It would seem unlikely to me that any of these firearms would not have a guide rod? It would also seem unlikely that the lack of a guide rod would cause the safety to go on....I watched a video on dismantling this firearm beyond field strip. Nothing I will be doing. I ordered the guide rod from Numrich. The confirmation email advises they are shut down due to Covid 19..

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just to add a little bit to everyone's store of knowledge.

unnamed.jpg

As you can see from the right image, when the magazine is not in far enough, that little dingus is shoved towards the rear of the gun, where it blocks the gun from firing. As the left image shows, when the magazine is in all the way it pushes that little dingus towards the front of the gun, which allows it to shoot.

What, you may ask, has that to do with this discussion of a guide rod?

colt1903.gif

In this breakdown of a 1903, part number 12 is the guide rod. As you can see, unlike the one in the picture Mr. Moody posted, there is a little teat on the head of the rod. That teat is spring loaded. When there is a magazine in the grip, the disconnect is pushed forward, and it pushes that spring loaded teat into the guide rod. If the magazine is removed, the spring loaded teat extends towards the rear, pushing the magazine disconnect into place.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  9. wng-2

wng-2 Active Member

Great information. Thanks very much for posting.I had read that they added a magazine safety at some point. The firearm in question was manufactured in 1920. Still a mystery to me why there is no guide rod. It would not seem likely any of them came through without one? As I mentioned, Numrich is shut down. I cancelled that order, and found a guide rod and spring assembly elsewhere. I also ordered another magazine to see if that makes a difference. It's a cool little gun. I am so interested in it, I may bid on one....:):confused:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  10. wng-2

wng-2 Active Member

Magazine and guide rod both arrived. Neither cured the problem.