The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial Number: 152175 - On the frame just under the serial is "L 1" and some kind of symbol maybe above the corner of the L and the underside of the serial number.

My mother recently gave me her pistol (almost 90). I have no idea where she acquired it or how long she has had it. I would like to learn about the pistol before making any decisions. After doing some looking around, this one has a shorter barrel than most of the Pocket - Police I have seen. Also the pearl grips without an emblem is different. Would appreciate any and all comments, recommendations, assistance, etc. and I say thank you in advance. I think this gun was mfg. in the early 30's but not sure. I have attached a couple of quick i-phone images. Needs some TLC, but OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
These were first made by colt around 1905/07. They were an upgrade of the new pocket of 1896 by adding the positive hammer blocking system. The first transitions were made with an L shaped cylinder latch. They chamber the .32 S&W Long and were made right up until the beginning of World War II . They retailed new in 1939 for $28.50. After the war, Colt did manufacture a similar pistol called the courier in both .32 and .22 LR. Don't know if the frame was the same size as the pocket positive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What a great piece of family history that you will have to pass on to the next generation. Must be proud of your Mom. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I appreciate your input and comments. Do you know what the best was is to trace the serial number to mfg. date, etc? Also, what is the best way to clean up/restore the piece? Was wondering what the best product to clean up the exterior would be. Never cleaned up an old gun such as this and would not want to do it wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts