Colt SAA .44-40

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Desertrat06, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Desertrat06

Desertrat06 New Member

1903 manufacture Frontier .44-40. Excellent mechanically, but about 13% condition based on pictures in Fjestad.

Sorta wondering about just passing it on to my son as is, or going ahead and get a total rebuild/refurbish "just because". :)

And, of course, curious about the value, as is.

Thanks,

'Rat

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A 1st Generation SAA is, pretty much, worth at least 2 grand, no matter how bad a shape it's in. They are that popular.

Now, as for the possible refurbish. If the gun has got family provenance. If it is the one that Great Grandpa used when he tamed Dodge, or something like that, I'd leave it alone. It's an honest working gun and earned it's scars and patina. Like, I see no reason to dye my hair. I earned these gray hairs, raisin' kids. But if it's just a gun you picked up, and it has no meaning to you, and it was, possibly, abused to get in the condition it's in, then I say go ahead and refurbish it. Just realize that by doing so you are going to be flushing AT LEAST a thousand dollars down the crapper.

It's funny, when you think about it. If I were to buy a Colt, made in 1932, and completely restore it so that it looked like it just left Hartford, it's value would be about 1/10 of what it would be if I left it alone. But if I bought a Ford Model A, made in 1932, and completely restored it so that it looked like it just left Detroit, its value would be many times what it was as a rusted-out wreck in someone's barn.

3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Alpo: How true, here is a 1957 second generation Colt that about 2K was spent on shortening the barrel , ejector rod and housing including the skeletonized end of the ejector rod so it passes by the cylinder retaining pin enabling empties to be pushed all the way out. In addition those are real ivories and the correct barrel markings are there but in two lines. I paid $2200 for the gun the way you see it which is about what it would be worth had it never been touched. The 1932 Ford Roadster was sold new in Reno and still running when bought out of a barn for 7K and another 70K was spent on it making it a hotrod that I have turned down $110,000. The 1932 Buick also a hotrod I know nothing of its past other than it is my understanding it is only one of 6 left of 600 ever made of that style and yet it is only worth about half the value of the Ford.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. Desertrat06

Desertrat06 New Member

That old Colt is an honest old critter, and, as I said, the mechanicals are quite good. Good bore and all that. I'll let my son worry about the what-to-do. While I don't shoot it often, it does hit where I want it to--which is about all anyone can ask.

Car restoration values are entertaining, to say the least. I've watched enough of the Barrett-Jackson stuff on TV to have a feel for that. My wife and her first husband had a "Best in the US" very-very-early Cadillac at the Hershey show, back in the '70s.