1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a follow up to my recent post, correct me if I have done something wrong in the posting, first time with the photos. Please, add any comments about the rifle. Thanks to several of the members for suggesting Numrich for parts, seems as though they have a large number of common wear parts.

Thanks

Larry

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
The stagecoach were made from 1965 to 1975 and production stopped due to loss of interest on this rifles. Approximately 25000, were made. I would buy parts for the future regardless if you need them or not. Good little plinkers. Don't really know if there is a collector's interest on them especially if parts are hard to get.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
This is a shooter not a seller due to condition.
It has aluminum receiver, Trigger guard, barrel bands. This needs to be cera coated.
The gold inlay was painted on.
They did not have a very good reputation as shooting reliable.
They do get good money as a collectable But they need to be in very good original condition to be worth good money (I have seen some sell for over $500) yours is only worth a few hundred.
Yours has some pitting from rust. And rusted screws.
Sense it is in the shape as it is if it was my gun I would redo it and add some fancy checkering and shoot the heck out of it. But that would cost me nothing but cost you $400-$500.
Of course we all Know once you restore it it loses all collector value but yours has very little collector value (If any) due to condition.
Even the aluminum has dents in it.
I would put this gun in the restore for a pass down gun category.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. This gun was never bought with the idea of making money on it, I am curious as to how good I can make it look and shoot.
This gun reminds me of the time I took apart an old Westclox alarm clock to see how it worked, took it apart and reassembled it and it worked for many years after.
I am aware of the production dates but wanted to highlight the lack of a serial number. The dents and scrapes can not all be removed, but I will do the best work possible and post a few after photos. Mike, it may come down to blueing the barrel and loading tube, at that time I will call and make arrangements.
Will Numrich become my go-to for a schemtic?

Thanks again.

Larry

Reactions: ms6852

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow-up on the rifle. The time has caused a few scars, but I (along with the rest of you) will get this going like a fine machine.
While I was cleaning I thought I would remove the stock and firing system for a complete bath. I found a note stuck into the stock retaining screw area the note reads:
This "COLT" Autoloader 22LR Belongs to Robert G.Tade c/o 3345-31-ST Mrs. Jean Tade
Given on "Fathers Day 6-18-72
Given by son Robert Thomas Tade
MPS Ft Polk, LA.

If anyone knows of them or how to contact them, just let me know
Larry

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Just a follow-up on the rifle. The time has caused a few scars, but I (along with the rest of you) will get this going like a fine machine.
While I was cleaning I thought I would remove the stock and firing system for a complete bath. I found a note stuck into the stock retaining screw area the note reads:
This "COLT" Autoloader 22LR Belongs to Robert G.Tade c/o 3345-31-ST Mrs. Jean Tade
MPS Ft Polk, LA.

Larry
WOW you are not going to believe this but they are my cousins and that gun was stolen from my uncles but don't fear you can just send it to me and we will call it even. Cough Cough.......
I am with you on finding who wrote this note that would be cool to talk to them about this gun.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW you are not going to believe this but they are my cousins and that gun was stolen from my uncles but don't fear you can just send it to me and we will call it even. Cough Cough.......
I am with you on finding who wrote this note that would be cool to talk to them about this gun.
Mike, I can always rely on you and a few others to help out a member when stuck with an unreliable scratched, old gun. I would not want my heirs fighting over such a relic.

Larry

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
MPS Ft Polk, LA.

Larry
Larry, did a bunch of searches, and this guy is the best bet. No idea how current the info is.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This project is taking me down several new paths. I reviewed the schematic for the gun, thanks to Numrich, the bolt, and trigger assy came out after removing the retaining pin, very dirty. I have been cleaning the bolt, removed and cleaned the firing pin, cleaned the pin channel. The pin face is in good operational condition but ordered a replacement unit just in case. The trigger group is soaking in a cleaner, Hoppes. The next step is to remove the barrel. The retaining pin has been removed. The barrel and receiver (aluminum) have some corrosion where the two meet. Going to need help on the best procedure for the removal of the barrel, I think I should warm the receiver and cool the barrel, but not sure how to pull the barrel without distortion, Mike, any suggestions?
Next question: what is going to be the best approach to cleaning the stock and forearm, years of neglect and gun oil have stained the wood badly. I may not be able to remove the oil stains, but I will need to restain and seal the wood. Any help from the woodworkers will be greatly appreciated.
Will add photos of the steps taken.

Larry

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Larry, figured that's why you wanted the info, good on ya!
Didn't know you were going to strip it down that far, that's why I suggested the alumablack. What Mike said about the ceracoat would be the next choice. Just saying, If it was me, I would go all the way and have it powder coated. Nicks, dings, scratches, can all be filled with Devcon Liquid Aluminum, and sanded down like Bondo on a car. You can buff it out like the Aluminum too. Gloss black powder coat is tough as nails, and make it look better than new.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the problems I see with powder coating is it will fill in the engraving.
As an old engineer I just hate to see machines that have been neglected and cast aside.
I can give it an honest effort to make as good as possible. I know it was a cheap gun, but it has been around for 50+ years, maybe with a little help it can be around another fifty. I want to go as far as I can with the rebuild.

Larry

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
You need to strip the trigger assembly all the way down (ALL parts out and cleaned) so the trigger assembly can be ceracoated along with the receiver and all other aluminum parts.
Ceracote will not fill in the engraving.
If the dents need to be removed then sanding is the way. So you can take out the dents and reshape the edges. High points need to be tapped with a FLAT punch to push them down and when doing this you will fill back in some of the dents.
The barrel needs to be removed VERY CAREFULLY so you do not enlarge it's hole in the receiver.
On the underside of the barrel cut a SMALL index line and also on the receiver so it can be lined up right when you put the barrel back on. I use a tiny screw driver and tap it to make the mark on both.
I use a 2x4 that has a hole drilled in it large enough for the barrel to fit thru. (Tight at the receiver) Slide it over the barrel put the barrel in a vise slide the wood up to the receiver and TAP it all around so you are sliding the barrel out even. Again do this VERY careful. Or when you go to put it back in it will be sloppy and not fit right.
If you are going all the way with this gun then sand the stock to get rid of the dents. First raise the dents with steam then sand then wet the stock (To raise the soft grain) lightly sand after dry and then put on as many coats of TRU-OIL (Sanding in-between coats) to the point you like how deep the finish is.
When the receiver is painted use a gold filler like Liquid Gold made by DecoColor to fill in the engraving.(I use a tooth pick)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to strip the trigger assembly all the way down (ALL parts out and cleaned) so the trigger assembly can be ceracoated along with the receiver and all other aluminum parts.
Ceracote will not fill in the engraving.
If the dents need to be removed then sanding is the way. So you can take out the dents and reshape the edges. High points need to be tapped with a FLAT punch to push them down and when doing this you will fill back in some of the dents.
The barrel needs to be removed VERY CAREFULLY so you do not enlarge it's hole in the receiver.
On the underside of the barrel cut a SMALL index line and also on the receiver so it can be lined up right when you put the barrel back on. I use a tiny screw driver and tap it to make the mark on both.
I use a 2x4 that has a hole drilled in it large enough for the barrel to fit thru. (Tight at the receiver) Slide it over the barrel put the barrel in a vise slide the wood up to the receiver and TAP it all around so you are sliding the barrel out even. Again do this VERY careful. Or when you go to put it back in it will be sloppy and not fit right.
If you are going all the way with this gun then sand the stock to get rid of the dents. First raise the dents with steam then sand then wet the stock (To raise the soft grain) lightly sand after dry and then put on as many coats of TRU-OIL (Sanding in-between coats) to the point you like how deep the finish is.
When the receiver is painted use a gold filler like Liquid Gold made by DecoColor to fill in the engraving.(I use a tooth pick)
Mike, thank you for the input. I will try to follow your suggestions to the letter, new receivers are near impossible to find. I have ordered all new springs and pins.
I have started on the stock and forearm, so far it is cleaning up nicely.
The receiver is looking good just taking off all of the paint, very slow and carefully.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, that ball peon hammer and the steel punch really worked to get the barrel out of the receiver. I did not mark the barrel, but I think I will be able to line up the dings.
I will now try to post a photo.
The photos appear to have posted. The stock and forearm are clearing up very well.
The bolt is cleaning good, look forward to cleaning the trigger group.

Thanks for all of the help

Larry

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts