The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To day while out and i stoped in to a garage sale and the guy had a colt woodsmen there first edition 1950's style. I came very close to buying it however the guy wanted too much includeing morgageing my grand kinds and thats on going to happen . I was sad to leave the colt behind because i have wanted one for 30 years but not at 700.00.

bigdad5

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
bigdad5:

It depends on the model but I paid that much for my used Colt Match Target third generation (1955) 20 years ago! Colt Woodsman pistols are collectable and collectors drive the prices up. More research would divulge the real value of the one you looked at. But we all have monetary limits for any gun regardless of the going price. Over the years my limit has ratcheted up as my gun safes filled up and only interesting guns (mostly expensive, it seems) are all that interest me anymore.

The Woodsman models from the 1950's usually had a deep, highly polished Colt blue that makes them beautiful just to look at. I bought mine because it looked so good. It shoots OK but is not as impressive, accuracy wise, as the "Match" in the name implies. Perhaps I have not done enough testing to find the ammo it likes. But I have other guns that are more accurate but don't look as nice as the Match Target.

Should you do the research and re-consider? You decide! The right Woodsman might catch my eye!

LDBennett

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the woodsmen was a standard field model nothing more. It has pretty good barrel ware from in and out of the holster 10,000 times and was unrestored so no damage on the price for the barrel ware. but he was atleast 250 over my budget.

bigdad5

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i have owned three or four match target colt 22s over the years and i have made very good money selling them,however they were not really as accurate as the name implys.i bought 22 ruger mark 11 that shot better. old semperfi

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have a minty match target in the safe. Had it out yesterday to shoot with a High Standard military citation and the M41 S&W, and a Biakal IZH35 too....

It was the dog of the bunch IMHO....Too small for my hands, good trigger, but not great either. I see many minty examples at shows. I think I now know why. Back into the safe it goes, in the factory box with papers and grip adapters, cleaning tools and the Colt screw driver....

Regards, Kirk

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
To day while out and i stoped in to a garage sale and the guy had a colt woodsmen there first edition 1950's style. I came very close to buying it however the guy wanted too much includeing morgageing my grand kinds and thats on going to happen . I was sad to leave the colt behind because i have wanted one for 30 years but not at 700.00.

bigdad5
1950's style really doesn't tell us it was first generation. Second generation (series) were made from 1947-1955. First generation was from 1915-1947. A second generation pistol could easily be worth $1,200 - $1,500.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, i didnt have a date of manufacture or a serial number that could be tracted sorry guys i didnt want to push the old boy.

bigdad5

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I understand. Mostly if I run up on a good deal on a gun, I have no money! When I have money I can't find my behind with both hands, much less a good deal on a gun!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Every time I want to purchase something I always end up paying top dollar most of the time, well sometimes on the stuff I really want bad. But when I want to sell something I get hammered price wise so it will sell. I guess I don't stand too firm price wise when I part with stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts