The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt's Government model .38 Super, that I purchased in 2015. At the time of the purchase I was told that the pistol was 1 of 350 produced in the Colt's Custom Shop. Recently I have tried to find more information about it, with out much success. A serial number search through Colt's website reveled the manufacture date of 2013 and the model, Government. I would like to know the specifics of the customization and an approximant value. Thanks for taking a look.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Well, aside from the obvious being .38 Super rather than a .45, the standard Government models did not come with Novak sites. The ejection port is cut further down the side of the gun’s slide to reduce stovepipes. Also, the grips are not standard Government model. To get any more specifics than that, I would contact Colt directly. I honestly don’t know more than those small details. It’s a beauty of a 1911 though. I’m sure the more knowledgeable will be along to add their input as well.

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
I agree with WilleB. The sights and grips were added after purchase. Still a fine looking 1911.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Added after? Not so sure. It went through Colts custom shop. It may have been pulled and reworked .....

IDK

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
Maybe so Bill, but Colt's serial lookup says it is a Government model. Those sights are not used on the Government model. It does not mention anything about custom shop or anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Maybe so Bill, but Colt's serial lookup says it is a Government model. Those sights are not used on the Government model. It does not mention anything about custom shop or anything else.
That serial number itself is an odd one. Seems to me like that would indicate some sort of special run. And if those sights were added aftermarket, they did a pretty darn good job with them.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Damned if I know then.

·
Administrator
32,156 Posts
Any documentation that this is indeed a custom shop pistol?
I'm not seeing anything custom about it except the sights have been changed.
Maybe you should contact Colt.
I'm just not seeing it.
Looks like a parkerized Goverment model to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey Gentlemen,
I have an update, with documentation that should quell any arguments. I emailed Colt's archive department about an authentication letter. I received an email, containing a link detailing the firearm.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
There you go, with one little email, all your questions have been answered!

It's hard to believe that Colt sent you a link to another place (other than them) that would potentially sell a Colt. Not saying that they wouldn't, but it is hard to believe.

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
Reactions: lazyJ
1 - 18 of 18 Posts