Combat Commander vs. ?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ARB, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I'm looking to sell/trade my colt for an unspecified 1911. The reason I'm looking at doing this is I'd like a carry pistol that's stainless or another finish more hardy than bluing. It's in about 95%-98% condition so I'm looking at maybe $900.00. This is the only 1911 I've ever had and I know everyone here likes Kimber and Wilson but what about Springfield? I really don't need something with all the bells and whistles, just a pistol that is as reliable and accurate as the Combat Commander series 70 .45. Release the hounds!

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Series 70? Isn't that older than old??

mike
    gn

3. ARB

ARB New Member

You got me. I asked the value of it awhile back and the fella's here gave me the blue book pricing.

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Aaah, don't pay any attention to him. What does he know - he likes Glocks. :p

The Series 70 is the creme de la creme of Colt 1911s. But I've got two Springfields, and have had good luck with both of them. My most accurate 1911 is a Kimber CDP, but it's also the one that cost the most. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Springfield, but then, one of mine is approaching 20 years old, and the other'n is approaching six. For all I know, the new ones are junk.

Don't you just love hearing stuff like that? :D

5. techoca

techoca New Member

The new Springfield Armory 1911s are excellent guns. I own a GI model and a SS Loaded model and love them both. All you need to add is Wilson Combat magazines and you will not go wrong.

techoca

6. ARB

ARB New Member

I liked the look of the ss Loaded model. How much do those usually run? Does it have the same grip size as the commander?

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

If you like the pistol you now have, why not just get it refinished? It won't cost that much, and you still have a familure platform that feels just like it did before the new finish!

8. techoca

techoca New Member

ARB,
    I paid $733.00 for mine, it has Trijicon night sights.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. ARB

ARB New Member

I like that price! Now all I need is to do some more research on that specific model. Thanks for the information.:)

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Now, that's a thought. Send it to Robar, for NP3. That's a proprietary finish that's (I believe) a mixture of teflon and nickel. Cost 225 when I had mine done, a few years back. It's almost completely corrosion resistant. The trigger comes back better than it was when it left, because the trigger mechanism has the teflon on it. For the price of doing the gun, you get one magazine coated, too. Color is kinda of a light grey. This is my 2 1/2" Model 19.

[​IMG]

11. ARB

ARB New Member

Does that have any effect on the fittings? (Something I've always wanted to know.) Also, I thought it might be nice to pass it along to someone who would appreciate it's natural beauty.(Yes, I'm sentimental about some of my possessions.)

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It still locks up tight, but it's not so tight that a speck of powder jams it. The whole action is sweeter than it was when I sent it to him.

13. ARB

ARB New Member

You know, I think I'm gonna have to go with the ss Springfield Loaded. The thing looks like the Hammer of Thor.
    I do appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks

14. techoca

techoca New Member

You won't be sorry if you buy the Springfield Loaded.

15. ARB

ARB New Member

I just talked to the local gunshop. Tim, told me that he can't get a hold of one of those until the beginning of 2010! I guess it's time to shop around. I try to support the local fella's, I don't know.:confused: