The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Judan in the Bujinkan Dojo. Dr. Hatsumi's videos on YouTube of which there are many, are the best examples of Combatives. Many other arts took our methodologies and bastardized them and teach them as their own. The lack of understanding which is different from knowledge, causes most of them to be ineffective on the street. (1975 - 2011 Chattanooga F&P and Army Commando/Special Agent. Have trained in Bugei entire adult life.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting -
What small weapons are you familiar with?
LEO: Distinguished Expert with Chattanooga PD, won 1st place trophy... Military: Weapons Expert officially, M16, M203, M249, M60, M2HB, 90mm RR. M72, Dragon TOW Missle, 1911. ESI grad in Aspen, CO. COMADANTS LIST PLDC, ARCOM recipient. IPSC, & PPC competitor back in the day. Grad John Farnum shooting school, Grad Walley Dallenback driving school. Actually have 10th degree Black belt in nine classical ryu of Nipon Bugei.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I’m from the school of slash, cut, shoot, and run! I can’t run anymore, and I’m to old to fight, so I have no choice but to shoot until the threat is gone.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I’m from the school of slash, cut, shoot, and run! I can’t run anymore, and I’m to old to fight, so I have no choice but to shoot until the threat is gone.
Too old to win a fight, too old to outrun anyone.

My brothers reason for carrying a gun when I found out he started carrying nearly 10 years before I did. Living in CA certainly wasnt conducive to concealed carry for me.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
And I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever heard a list of small weapons that included an M60, 90mm RR and a TOW missile -

What would you consider HEAVY, an Abrams?

Now, seriously, with your extensive MA training, I thought when you said "small weapons" in the title, you might be speaking of nunchaku, tonfas, sai, bo, sword, etc.
And - are you aware of ANY legitimate school that uses throwing stars?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Ask Brandon Lee about his martial arts training against a gun... Though there is definitely a use for martial arts.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Ask Brandon Lee about his martial arts training against a gun... Though there is definitely a use for martial arts.
In a fair fight! Cheaters use long range weapons!

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I can see a use - walking down the sidewalk, nothing at all amiss, and some dude lunges and grabs you before you can draw -
Far fetched, perhaps, but it can, has, and will happen to someone. If it is me it happens to, I honestly believe I could break free long enough to draw and shoot the poor misguided soul.

I have always had an interest in MA weapons, though. The idea of people living in a society where real weapons were banned, and they took common farm tools and developed complex fighting styles using them is fascinating to me.

One of my grandsons is very accomplished with a bo. Watching him go through a practice session will give you great respect for this -

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I get winded very easily, and mouth breathe to get enough air. My Tai Kwon Do instructor matched me for testing for my next level belt. When the bout was over and I passed to the next level, he critiqued my style and said "you must not breathe through your mouth; it lets your opponent know you are tiring." I just nodded and did not debate the point. But in reality, I will never fight as long as that with someone. In about 1 1/2 seconds I can draw, aim and fire from even CC. I will not exchange kicks and strikes for ten minutes, more like one minute --

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Years and years of discipline and hard work vs Smith and Wesson...;):D

Did you know that in the original script he fought the guy using his whip for several pages? They were filming in Tunisia, it was 130 degrees, and much of the crew - including the star - had come down with dysentery, so they cut the scene short by just shooting him - and it ended up being one of the best scenes in the film!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I get winded very easily, and mouth breathe to get enough air. My Tai Kwon Do instructor matched me for testing for my next level belt. When the bout was over and I passed to the next level, he critiqued my style and said "you must not breathe through your mouth; it lets your opponent know you are tiring." I just nodded and did not debate the point. But in reality, I will never fight as long as that with someone. In about 1 1/2 seconds I can draw, aim and fire from even CC. I will not exchange kicks and strikes for ten minutes, more like one minute --
From my experience if a fight lasts much longer than 30 seconds, you are doing it wrong.
;)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts