The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1st gun I ever bought for myself was a Plain Jane Savage 24, .22mag over a 20ga. Used it for several years hunting Ground Hog and Squirrels. Traded it off for a very nice 1952 Win 94 in .30 .30 with the nicest wood I have ever seen on a 94, when I was wanting a Deer rifle. Still have the 94.

Years later after Jonesing for another one, I had a Forum Brother give me a heads up on a Savage 24V in a difficult to find combo. .30 .30 over a 20ga that you see here. I mounted a Simmons Master Series Pro Diamond reticle Shotgun Scope to it. (4X32)

Hey Ted, I figured out the whole rotate a picture thing. 馃憤 Just went all my photo's rotating the ones that needed it.

Registered
I had a Savage 24 .22/20ga with the separated barrels from the late '70s. Again, another regulation problem. When the .22lr barrel was sighted in for squirrel range, when I went to use the shotgun, I had to raise it up higher than the squirrel, blotting out the target, for the pattern to hit. I always wondered if the fellow who I let open the full choke up a bit might have messed that up. I'll never know because I hadn't patterned it before he worked on it. Dumb. Never took a photo but it had really nice wood. I traded it off and wish those two barrels had shot closer together. It was a fun little gun and accurate too with the iron sights it came with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used my 1st Savage 24 .22mag over 20ga with open sights. It was very accurate with both barrels. It was a great gun for what I was using it for, and a great 1st gun as well. Although I really like the Win 94 I got in trade, I've wished I could have that 1st gun back many times.

I subsequently learned the .22mag combo was difficult to find. .22LR could be found all day long. .30 .30 over the 20ga also very rarely seen. It seems the .222 was more common. .22Hornet would have been a good round for this gun as well. They were offered in .410, .20, and .12ga.

Registered
Ken, when I was a teenager the first rifle I hunted with was one of those Savage over unders that My Dad had, it was .222 over 20 ga. There are no pictures of it as Dad's house was broken into when they were on vacation and the Savage and his Schmitt Rubin were taken.
For a wonder the theives left his model 33 Remington behind that dad's older brother gave him for his 10th birthday in 1946.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shoot ysacres, you owning a Savage has taken you up a notch in my book. 馃憤

Alpo, is that Springfield M6 an Air Force Survival gun?

Thanks for the pics all. Keep em' coming.

Premium Member
I guess I inadvertently hit a key that put allll my pictures in a "P101..." format and I have no idea what is what until I figure out which key or combination of keys to put them back into pictures....so I can't post any.....:cry: But, there's 3 drillings and a combination gun in the toy box. My combination gun is very similar to Firpo's except that's it's on a Jones underlever rather than a Lefaucheux action. It's in 16 X 10.5 X 47R. Firpo's is cool and I like his 8 X 72R Sauer & Sohn cartridge. His has a nice feature mine doesn't, that folding diopter in the upper tang. Those are uber-cool!! I really like the concept!

Oh, I forgot, his ha MUCH nicer engraving than mine. Wow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharps4590, you did better than I did. A few months ago I was fooling around in my "Settings," and came across "Memory." I reviewed about 10 different categories, making changes. Hoping to free up some memory. Well I did. Including deleting almost all my photo's that had been on my Tablet. Doh.......................................馃槩馃槶

Registered
Stevens .22/.410 Tenite stock survival gun. Was issued to my uncle for his B-29, years later unknown to him, until he landed at the AZ scrap yard, he ferried his old plane there. Before he went to go to get another one, he saw the gun stuck in the air frame. Things looked too familiar, so he checked some records with the guys at the scrap yard, and it was his plane, and the gun had been issued to him. They didn't know what to do with the gun, weren't going to tick off an officer, so they sold it to him for scrap value ( more likely beer money).
The plane didn't have a place to store the gun except for where it would stick into the air frame, and it was just a tad too long to fit there. So they had the plane mechanics use a chop saw to shorten the tip of the barrel. Where it fit in the frame, the frame rivets rubbed on the Tenite stock. I've only seen one other like it, chopped barrel, USAF stamped, and the same rub marks on the stock. The brown box of 3" aluminum .410 shells were Air Force issue.

Registered
Alpo, is that Springfield M6 an Air Force Survival gun?
If it was an Air Force Gun it would not be a Springfield M6. The Air Force guns were, at least according to wiki, made by Ithaca

You probably guessed it was because I removed the idiotic trigger guard, and Photobucket removed about 4 inches of barrel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually Alpo, I was thinking that was about the Fugliest gun I've ever seen. I figured it had to be issued to someone, as opposed to anyone buying that thing. 馃馃槷馃槖

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Yes Sir. I promise I will not shoot anyone with the .22 Hornet soft point rounds, because that would not be fair." 馃馃槀

Scouts Honor. 馃槈

Registered
Stevens .22/.410 Tenite stock survival gun. Was issued to my uncle for his B-29, years later unknown to him, until he landed at the AZ scrap yard, he ferried his old plane there. Before he went to go to get another one, he saw the gun stuck in the air frame. Things looked too familiar, so he checked some records with the guys at the scrap yard, and it was his plane, and the gun had been issued to him. They didn't know what to do with the gun, weren't going to tick off an officer, so they sold it to him for scrap value ( more likely beer money).
The plane didn't have a place to store the gun except for where it would stick into the air frame, and it was just a tad too long to fit there. So they had the plane mechanics use a chop saw to shorten the tip of the barrel. Where it fit in the frame, the frame rivets rubbed on the Tenite stock. I've only seen one other like it, chopped barrel, USAF stamped, and the same rub marks on the stock. The brown box of 3" aluminum .410 shells were Air Force issue.

Cool gun, I hope those barrels are over 18鈥.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts