Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys....I have some Colt Commander parts that I need advice on. I have:

1 slide marked "COLT'S COMBAT COMMANDER" 9mm luger, nicer than it looks here
1 barrel & magazine 9mm luger
1 barrel & magazine 38 super automatic
1 bushing that fits both barrels
1 recoil spring w/cap & guide
1 ejector

Is this all that is needed to convert a 1911 to 9mm or 38super? I have also posted on the "what its worth" forum to get some pricing ideas.
Thanks for Your opinions...Grant Harris

(sorry for my reflections in the slide pics...kinda scary)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
It will look a little funky, as the Government Model frame is a wee bit longer, in front of the trigger. It'll work, but it won't look exactly like a Commander.

If you want the slide to lock back automatically, you will need a 9mm slide stop. The 45 slide stop piece inside the slide (the thing the follower pushes up when the mag is empty) won't reach a 9mm follower (I thought I had defective magazines, until I found out they made a 9mm slide stop).

The gun will work with a 45 stop. You can still lock the slide back manually. But an empty magazine won't lock it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ALPO....I meant to say "commander" not "1911". I didn't know about the slide stop issue. Does the 9mm slide have the longer stop?...GH

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
The piece inside the slide is a little longer on the 9mm. The 9 being smaller in diameter than the 45, the 45 does not reach far enough in for the 9 follower to push it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts