The Firearms Forum banner

Compact 9'er....recommendations ?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Brass Tacks 
#1 ·
I'm considering purchasing one of the following for a CCW pistol. Anything you recommend ? Anything I should consider regarding one over another ?
Glock 19, S&W M&P9C, Ruger SR9, Sig P250C

As of right now, I'm leaning toward the Glock 19, but only slightly. Any thoughts ?

#2 ·
One of the Old Guys purchased a Ruger SR9 and the trigger pull was horrendously heavy with lots of creep. He sent it back and Ruger improved it a bit but it is still not good. I understand that is a problem with the SR9 but was improved with the SR9C. With all the good options out there and as much of a Ruger fan that I am I would still stay clear of the SR9. I only have one Glock, a 19, and while it isn't much to look at :D it was the easiest to shoot well pistol I ever picked up.

#3 ·
The glock 19 is by far the most commonly chosen platform by our students.
It is also very common with most of the top Firearm Instructors domestically & overseas.
While it may not be the gun for everyone there is a reason why so many professionals prefer it.
One other popular option we see often that you didn't mention is the Kahr CW9 .
If possible, find a range or gunstore that would let you shoot the ones you are interested in.
Guns are like shoes, no one can tell you what you will like but you'll know it when you find it.
Best of luck picking the one that works for you.

#6 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm well aware that it's my choice, just thought I'd get some input from some folks that have shot and/or owned some of the above-mentioned pistols. One minor reason for looking into the Glock is I've never owned one. I'm 48 years old and have never owned a Glock, so I thought I might see what the buzz is all about !

#7 ·
+1 on the SR9c- trigger pull is fine, a bit long but what striker-fired pistol isn't? Not to mention for CC, self-defense, the long pull is preferable to many folks.

#9 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm well aware that it's my choice, just thought I'd get some input from some folks that have shot and/or owned some of the above-mentioned pistols. One minor reason for looking into the Glock is I've never owned one. I'm 48 years old and have never owned a Glock, so I thought I might see what the buzz is all about !
I never really understand the popularity of the Glock. I was a gun owner for many years and told myself I don't need or want one of those. I got a Glock 17 this year and let me tell you it is awesome. I certainly am a Glock fan now and recommend everyone have at least one in their arsenal. Its a dam solid gun, great shooter and just smells of innovation that works.

That all being said I still prefer my Ruger SR9c for carry.

#11 ·
I would probably save a little and go with the springfield XDM compact. It is an excellent choice for a carry gun.

#13 ·
I have owned three of the four that you mentioned. I have never had a Ruger SR9 so I can't say anything for or against it. I still have a Glock .40S&W but I never shoot it. I just don't like the thing and I don't know why!

I bought a S&W M&P and I liked it OK with the exception of the way you disassembled it. It seemed a little complicated to remove something from the butt to stick down inside the slide to pull some lever back to remove the slide. I kept it for about a year then unloaded it on a friend of mine who really wanted it. He sold it a little while later!!

I own a Sig P250C in 9mm and I do love it. At first I hated the "striker" fired thing but it kind of grew on me. After about a year, I bought a .40S&W Xchange kit for it so I now have two pistols/calibers in one. Earlier this year I bought a P250C in .45ACP, too. Even though the 250 is plastic, I have learned to like them. It is a very accurate gun, in all three calibers.

I have gone a round about way to recommend the Sig P250C.

PS: I have bought two different Springfield XD's (one a regular XD and the other an XDM) and just did not like the way they felt in my hand.

#14 ·
#16 ·
While I don't own an M&P 9C, I have considered purchasing one and I do own a M&P 40 FS it is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired and I haven't had a single malfunction out of it to date. I have also owned 3 XD9 service models and 1 XD40 service model and if the reliability of these is any indication of the same in the XD Sub Compacts, I wouldn't hesitate to own and carry one for SD.

#17 ·
gdmoody; I have gone a round about way to recommend the Sig P250C. .[/QUOTE said:
I haven't heard much about the 250 C. I like striker-fire pistols for self-defense due to the absence of a safety or a decocker. Seems like when the SHTF, it might be a bad idea to have to worry about safeties being off or on. One thing I really like about the XD series is, you can FEEL the top of the chamber area to confirm that there is a round in the chamber. I like that feature. Who knows when you might be in the dark at some point in time and want to make sure there's a round in the tube. ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.