The Firearms Forum banner

Compact Carry Revolver Project

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
Ever since she sold her Kahr 9mm to her best friend Linda has been unhappy with her semi-autos. They were good guns, but they just didn't 'click' for her. Since her favorite gun ever was a S&W Custom Shop L-Frame I decided to see if I could find her something like a smaller version of that. When a Rossi M68 (clone of a S&W Model 60) came up in pretty good condition and dirt cheap I decided to pick it up and convert it. It turned out to need a bit of work, but nothing I couldn't handle. I did a little trigger-work made an ergonomic grip fitted to her hand, but before I could finish it up a better option presented itself and she decided to go with that. So, now I have this surplus revolver that I have already put some work into... what to do? I already have a number of snubbies but I thought it would be nice to have something in-between those and a larger-framed gun; something to ride in a high-rise pancake holster for 'light-duty' carry.

I set aside Linda's custom grip, then bobbed the barrel at 2-1/4 inches and re-crowned it so that the muzzle wouldn't protrude from under a T-shirt. Then I fabricated and mounted a new red-insert front sight then made an ergonomic Walnut grip to fit my hand. The goal was to make it a 'full' grip that was still suited to concealed carry. I'm pretty happy with the result- there are 'before-and-after' shots below. Now to make the holster...

See less See more
#2 ·
Ever since she sold her Kahr 9mm to her best friend Linda has been unhappy with her semi-autos. They were good guns, but they just didn't 'click' for her. Since her favorite gun ever was a S&W Custom Shop L-Frame I decided to see if I could find her something like a smaller version of that. When a Rossi M68 (clone of a S&W Model 60) came up in pretty good condition and dirt cheap I decided to pick it up and convert it. It turned out to need a bit of work, but nothing I couldn't handle. I did a little trigger-work made an ergonomic grip fitted to her hand, but before I could finish it up a better option presented itself and she decided to go with that. So, now I have this surplus revolver that I have already put some work into... what to do? I already have a number of snubbies but I thought it would be nice to have something in-between those and a larger-framed gun; something to ride in a high-rise pancake holster for 'light-duty' carry.

I set aside Linda's custom grip, then bobbed the barrel at 2-1/4 inches and re-crowned it so that the muzzle wouldn't protrude from under a T-shirt. Then I fabricated and mounted a new red-insert front sight then made an ergonomic Walnut grip to fit my hand. The goal was to make it a 'full' grip that was still suited to concealed carry. I'm pretty happy with the result- there are 'before-and-after' shots below. Now to make the holster...

You might decide that you like the original, smaller, grips once you start carrying it. Nice job by the way. You've done a lot more to that gun than I ever could!

#5 ·
Your gun smithing skills are amazing. I'd love to have a weapon made by you. I like the steampunk designs, do you sell them too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.