The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I've used both SP and SPM in .300wh-works perfectly....you're only lighting off 4-8grs of powder in a small case.....Lowered FRP in suppressor with brake.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This video is pretty definitive, and answers the question that I've seen pop up in every shooting forum in the past couple of weeks. Very good to know, as I have picked up a fair amount of SPM this past 6 months, vs the one box I bought in Feb 2018 (and still have 8 sleeves). While I won't use them interchangeably, I certainly won't stress out when "purposefully" loading SPM in my pistol loads, or at least not my 9mm loads.
My SRP and SRPM will remain dedicated to my .300 BO and now .223Rem loads, as I shot less of these, and have fewer in stock.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
OK. I'm low on LR primers, but I found a brick of LRM primers. I have never used LR magnum primers in anything but .375H&H or 7mm Magnums that I reload for. Can I substitute the Magnums for the LR's in .243, .308 and 30.06?

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
OK. I'm low on LR primers, but I found a brick of LRM primers. I have never used LR magnum primers in anything but .375H&H or 7mm Magnums that I reload for. Can I substitute the Magnums for the LR's in .243, .308 and 30.06?
After see that video on interchanging the small primers, I don't see why you couldn't interchange regular with magnum in the large - i do the small rifle and small rifle magnum. But that is just my thoughts!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I'd drop a couple of grains using LRM....I have a case of them so I dropped the load from 51 to 49 grains,lost a little velocity but just as accurate, 6.5x.06.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I used small rifle CCI in my wife’s powder puff .38 special 148 WC loads in her 1970s M49 Bodyguard with no problem EXCEPT we got too many light strikes at first. Maybe 1-2 per 20-25 rounds. I narrowed it down and eliminated MOST of them by seating my next batch with my hand primer, I don’t think I was seating them all the way using the press to save time. We still get occasional light strikes (1 per 50 or so?) that I think may be due to the 50 year old main spring😎.

I would use any for practice, but since I’m getting low on factory .38 carry ammo, if I load any for her to carry I still have a little less than 2k SP I would use. They seem to work fine.

Besides, an occasional FTF during practice is a good way to check for “anticipating the recoil.”😎 And ALSO makes you appreciate revolvers over autos a little bit more for inexperienced shooters since the “Clearance Drill” is just “pull the trigger again....”😉

I will definitely be looking for SPM now though😉

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Can't see why not. I'd go back to starting loads and work up. My two cents

Reactions: accident

·
Registered
348 Posts
I personally have done this. I shoot 30-06, 22.250, 30-30 and6.5 Creedmoor. I bought a brick of Winchester LRP's a while back, and when I got them home it turned out someone had stacked 10 flats of LRMP's in a LRP box. So I had to ask this question. Then I loaded 5 rounds of each caliber using start load data and Winchester LRMP's. I took them to the range, now I don't have a chrony so I had to go by feel, recoil and report. I didn't notice any more pronounced affect in any category. My plan is to work up loads for each individual caliber and list it in the notes section of my loading manuals. It is definitely doable and you can work up your own loads.

·
GUNZILLA
6,493 Posts
Good video Don. Never really thought about using small rifle as I have a bunch of primers. Normally I like to keep everything factory but for a few guns that I have done trigger work on. Only way to find out is by testing it as the video guy mentioned.

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I have on my 7mm mag loads and haven't seen enough difference to matter for hunting loads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts