The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for component suppliers. I am a Cabela's fan but realize they are not always the best price unless you catch something on sale. I'm about to run out of small pistol primers and I cannot find any locally. I did order some from Cabelas since I had a few club points to use but they are on BO.

I have also ordered some FMJ 9mm bullets from Precision Delta but they are also on BO.

For future reference, any suggestions for suppliers are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I use a semi-local dealer.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I also use a small local shop. To say that Cabelas isn't always the cheapest is a huge understatement. I think the only ones who charge more than them is Gander Mountain.

The problem with powder and primers is, if you have it shipped the haz mat fee eats up any profit you may make from mail order, unless you make a big order.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I buy powder and primers local.. Everything else I use Grafs. free shipping is the big seller there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I buy powder and primers local.. Everything else I use Grafs. free shipping is the big seller there.
I can find powder locally but no one has small pistol primers. We have a big Sportsman's Warehouse (have none, don't know when they will get them) and I checked another large store in Richmond, VA called Green Top....same story....no SP primers, no idea when they will get them.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I too buy from the local shop but when they are out or when I am at one of the gun shows I buy from ETBRASS an Ohio company that has on line sales at www.etbrass.com
They have competitive prices and will ship as of Saturday they had primers because I purchases 3000 small pistol Winchester primers from them $30.00/1000

·
Banned
10,193 Posts
Powder vally or wideners

powder vally has some federal in stock.

buy primers will become a problems again soon

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got lucky today....visited my local Sportsman's Warehouse and they had 2000 CCI SP primers. Snatched them up.

·
Super Moderator
44,908 Posts
The last primers I bought, I got from Grafs, even with paying the haz-mat fees, it was cheaper than buying 5000 at the local store. I do buy all powder locally but I use Grafs for a lot of supplies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I purchases 3000 small pistol Winchester primers from them $30.00/1000
Or people could think ahead and make their purchases in 5k-10k lots and not have to worry about elections. I have at least 50k setting downstairs and know of people who have >250k in their reloading room.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
There may be some local fire codes in an area that regulate the amount of powder and primers and how they are stored that could effect the amount you have on hand. While I don't expect the local Fire Marshall to knock on my door to ask I try to keep no more than 10 lbs. of powder and no more than 10,000 primers in my home which is what most codes will be recommending.

I have been on a fire and seen the damage caused whern 50 lbs. of powder, stored in a proper magazine cooks off. It leaves an impression on me and a lot of other things, ha.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Powder and primers I get local. Most of the time the hazmat fees rule out shipping powder and primers. Bullets and brass, I shop the internet. Brass almost always comes from Starline.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Local gun store got too expensive so I went to Midsouth Shooter's Supply. The HAZMAT fees are to be expected but if you have some buddies with you, go in and buy powder and primers in bulk. Split the fees and get what you need at the same time. I think up to 60lbs for 1 HAZMAT fee.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
local on Fort Lewis when they have 8lb powder I want, otherwise it's Grafs.

Midway for shooting stuff and rifle bullets sometimes also.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Gun club I am a member of buys powder and primers in large lots. Spreads out the hazmat/shipping fees.
Thats the best way to do it if you have to order it and have it shipped.

Try to get in with a block of guys in your area to have a large order placed and spread the hazmat out over everyones tab.

·
Registered
18,746 Posts
graffs has a 27 bulk fee right ow I see.. mix n mach primer and smokless powders.. up to 50#

1 - 19 of 19 Posts