The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least around here reloading supplies are coming back in stock and the prices are coming down. The LGS where I buy most of my stuff has a good supply of primers, powder, and projectiles. They had Winchester, CCI, Federal, and Remington primers for $34.95/k and Wolf for $29.95/k. That is a little higher than a year ago, but not too bad. They have a good stock of most powder that is selling for $21.95/lb.

They had almost all ammo except .22 LR at fairly reasonable prices. They say they still cannot buy .22 anywhere and have no idea when it will be available. Wal-Mart still does not have ammo on the shelves except for shotgun and a few hunting rounds.

I haven't been to Bass Pro, but I've heard they are also getting more reloading supplies in stock.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
nuttin here. no powder.. no dies.

saw primers at a show.. but didn't have my mortgage payment book with me to take out a new loan for them :)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
My local shop never did run out of powder or primers. They have pallets of ammo (except .22 LR).

Yeah, the shelves everywhere seem to be filling back up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In NE Ga we have primers at nearly every LGS that sells reloading supplies. They also have powder, but not what I have been searching for. I stopped by a LGS today while at work that had a full shelf of primers, and some powder. The primers were kind of pricy at $39/k for SPP, LPP, LRP, and $49/k for CCI No41 AR primers. No Thank You! I have plenty to last me til Christmas.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,077 Posts
The LGS collection in Bullhead City, AZ remains out of everything, including Walmart. I've managed to score large quantities of the primers I use, but only by placing orders with Graf's and waiting months for them to get stock to ship. I've no complaints on that score, though; they've been utterly reliable and very helpful to me.

I've managed to grab a few bullets here and there, but it's been mostly a combination of good lucks - having the money, and finding stock - on the same day. It doesn't happen often, sad to say.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There were lots of components at THE NATIONAL PISTOL MATCHES at Camp Perry in Ohio this week.

Primers were in stock, Federal, Winchester, CCI, Small Pistol. Large Pistol, Rifle. $40/1000 for the pistols, I DIDN'T CHECK RIFLE STUFF.

I saw some rifle shooters gathering up some of the bullets THEY SAID that were on the Hornady DELAYED PRODUCTION LIST.

CCI STANDARD VELOCITY 22LR were $40 per Brick of Plastic 100 Packs (5). Limit of 3 bricks though.

Rifle starts next week and runs into Aug, vendors will restock and some vendors will change.

·
Banned
548 Posts
much better here in KY as well. we have only one close supply store here in bowling green but gales has got primers finally just sitting on the shelf. most all types. fair prices. i have been sitting back and not buying any as i have a stach and have been letting them all go to folks who just buy what they need from day to day. but now that they are back and just sitting on the shelf, i will buy a brick every week and i will not be needing any when this all happens again in 3 years!

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
Ammo is better that it has been but 9 mil is hard to find. 22 is still out everywhere. My LGS has had everything off and on. No primers anywhere. I was lucky enough to get some as a friend on this forum has turned me on when he finds it. ARguy thanks.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I have had some Hornady wad cutter bullets on order through Brownells since April. I recently asked them for status and they responded that they did not see the ammo scarcity (or component scarcity) being relieved until the end of the year or the first quarter of 2014. This is about twice as long as in 2008 when Obama was elected.

The shootings across the country and some states' response with more gun an ammo controls is causing hoarding as all of the gun industry is supposedly running at full steam. Their products are being hoarded in fear of the Obama's and states' potential legislative actions. Here in California the ulta-liberal legislature is trying to go wild with ammo registering schemes, enactment of micro engraved firing pins, increased taxes on ammo and guns, and who knows what else (??). It is all very depressing for us gun owners and shooters. I fear it will only get worse as the liberals seem to be winning everywhere. What will happen if we get Hilary in 2016 or a totally liberal controlled congress along with liberal state legislatures?

LDBennett

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'll be happy to see shelves full again too, not that I need anything; cause I don't and like it that way. Here in Alaska, shelves are still bare, but they continue to get supply sent in, it goes fast. I haven't bought any supplies since last year, but want to pickup a couple lb of flavors I have never played around with.

I'm glad I live in a very conservative state, couldn't imagine, and feel sorry for you all in super blue states. Only good thing for me is super low prices of Calif compliant guns that can't be sold in Ca nowadays. Unreal times we live in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I stopped by 4 different LGS this morning. Every shop had plenty of primers in all flavors, and one shop had plenty of bulk bullets laying around. Powder has been a different story. I found pistol powder, but only found 2lb of Accurate 2230 at the last stop, which is mine now.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
went to a show today and actually saw wolf, tula, win and cci primers for 35-40$ a box ( 40 - cci ) 35 all else.

actually not bad.

powder still a bit light.

saw 22lr 325 boxes for 50$

again. not good. but inching down.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
GAHUNTER12, I got some 2230 last year also; loading up some 308, 165 A Frames last night. I'm loading from 40 to 42.5 grains; .5 increments. I don't have any info on that powder yet, but hear Western is going to bring a book out pretty quick. What kind of loads are you using?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Just a couple of years ago I use to get Winchester primers for $18 a box. After Obama was elected they finally came down to about $25. Fortunately I bought enough to last a few years 4 years ago after the prices came down. $35 to $50 is usury by people who buy up any supplies they can find and rip everyone else off and make a big profit. They are half the problem. The rest of the problem is those that hoard and hoard until they have enough reloading components to last a lifetime or two. This all creates the shortage we are seeing today.

LDBennett

·
Registered
954 Posts
Went to Sportsman's warehouse today; still very bleak. They had a few rare rifle rounds, one box each of 32 and 44 mag, 2 boxes of colt 45 snake shot. Still no powder or primers. Very few projectiles.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Just a couple of years ago I use to get Winchester primers for $18 a box. After Obama was elected they finally came down to about $25. Fortunately I bought enough to last a few years 4 years ago after the prices came down. $35 to $50 is usury by people who buy up any supplies they can find and rip everyone else off and make a big profit. They are half the problem. The rest of the problem is those that hoard and hoard until they have enough reloading components to last a lifetime or two. This all creates the shortage we are seeing today.

LDBennett
around here.. about 28-32 per thou was the norm last year. once in a blue moon see wolf for less.. and no tula normally local.

after the big scare.. prices near doubled.

i had been able to get S&B primers for 22-25 locally for a short time.. but even those are up now..

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I sure hope the right sweeps 2014, and my basic intuition tells me they will; just keeps going back and forth with certain issues getting people upset enough to foment change; issues like gun control. If that does come to pass as it has before, all the shelves will be full again; we'll all be fat & happy & content for a few more years until the left again swings the pendulum back. BUT, if it doesn't and the current powers that be institute crazy sky high taxes & permits on anything that looks or sounds like ammo or guns, if they further restrict our rights, if they eliminate the ownership of entire types of guns, who will we then blame? I guess we can level insults at each other as if that will correct the problem; but I ain't playing that game. I'll just take care of my own family as I have always done and since they will have everything they will ever need to continue their hunting & shooting sports, since I chose to live in a very rural, very conservative state that won't experience gun control, and in the end since we decided to not be controlled by whatever; life will be fine. Everybody is responsible for their own family and not much more in the end. It's not the Hoarders or anybody else. It's what the current powers that be are doing to our rights that has the shelves empty. It will all correct itself as it has in the past; too many gun owners in America for the left to have their way. Sorry to go on.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
hardly anything ever goes back to full pre-panic prices..

I forsee no retail primers at less than 30-35$ a box anymore. even wolf ammp that used to be just sub 5$ like 4.50-4.90 is about 5:30 for 762 and 223, when you can find it.

not a huge increase.. but some...

·
Registered
410 Posts
GAHUNTER12, I got some 2230 last year also; loading up some 308, 165 A Frames last night. I'm loading from 40 to 42.5 grains; .5 increments. I don't have any info on that powder yet, but hear Western is going to bring a book out pretty quick. What kind of loads are you using?
I will be loading .223Rem with 55gr FMJ BT. This will be a new load for me to work up. I will start at 22.5 gr of Accurate 2230, and work up from there for my Colt AR's. My next goal is to locate some H335, and CFE223.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts