The Firearms Forum banner

Components not available

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  jwdurf 
#1 ·
Part of our day yesterday was spent visiting the 2 closest Sportsman's Warehouse stores in search of Bullets. I need .38, .40, .45. Only thing I could find was one box of250gr .45cal Hornady XTP and a single box of Sierra 158gr JSP Sports Master bullets. The shelves in both stores were all but bare. and that also includes Primers, Cases, and Factory Ammo.

#5 ·
I was thinking that people are hording Components, (at least here in WA) there is no place within 50 miles of me that sells reloading components (except a limited amount of Powder). I try to stock up when I can. I have powder and Primers. I haven't checked on line yet though.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Powders I have no problem with, Primers I have (for now) and if I need more they are available I am good for 45acp, 40s&w 38Spl and .357Magnum cases. I even have 30-06 and 30-30 cases. Bullets is what I am shopping for. Right now it is 155gr .40 rn flat point.

I have been looking at molds Just have to get them past SWIMBO

#17 ·
That should be a no brainer, especially if it's a cheapy Lee Mold. I only have two rifles for which I don't have a cast bullet load worked up for and for those two I have enough bullets stockpiled it doesn't matter...and I'm not talking thousands of bullets, just a hundred or so. ALL revolvers get fed a diet of cast.

I don't mean this to sound....pedantic. Any time there is a "crisis" and some shooting supply is short a little devil inside me just grins. I think it was rcair who asked the simple yet obvious question...why don't folks stock up when stuff is available? It's kinda like an ice storm in Missouri. Folks don't make provision for what they know is coming. It is never a question of "if", it is always a matter of "when."

#24 ·
I have picked out a set of Lee Molds for the 40S&W from Midway they do not include free shipping (Under $49 but they do include Handles. I figure I can use a hard lead alloy (I have over 200 pounds of that). should be good in my Hi Point:machinegunner:

#26 ·
Happens over and over. A lesson to learn and live by is to stock up a stash before SHTF. It is a lesson taught repeatedly and quickly forgotten. I've got more inventory than I will ever be able to expend. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I've never had to worry about not having enough on hand.

I know not everyone is into it - but as common as cleaning kits are - so should be a lead furnace, molds and cast bullet sizing gear. If you have that you'll never worry about running out of projectiles. Powder and primers can be stored to last a very long time. Lead never goes bad.:twocents:

#27 ·
I've got a new 9mm pistol on the way (one of very few available)and as usual, even though I have a good stash of 9mm components, I checked on line at about 8 or 10 vendors. Only two had any bullets in stock and they weren't what I would use (115 gr. FMJ).

The unprepared panic buyers really get my panties in a bunch. Besides not thinking, the panic buying is selfish, self centered and foolish. The "I gotta get mine before someone else gets it all" thinking is what causes these shortages (not really a shortage, but mass over buying) and just irks the h**l outta me. I grew up in earthquake country, and lived through 4 LA riots and because I spent 1 minute of thought whenever I was in a store I have had zero shortages of anything. When the anti gun presidents were elected, there were panics, but I was able to sit back and watch the stupidness...

#32 ·
Carter's Country on the west side has plenty of components. I picked up Blue Dot, W231 and LPP on Friday.

My MBC order from three weeks ago was delivered in 6 days.

#35 ·
If you are'nt seriously buying reloading stuff now.....I wonder when you think a good time is....If the wife or whoever wants you to buy crap instead-big screen,new car,etc.....replace them with someone smarter...just sayin.
If you're responding to me: On the contrary sir - I am buying what I need right now. My point was I picked a time when these goods are in high demand, so acquiring the supplies is not as easy.

Reactions: jwdurf and joe45c
#36 ·
NO-not a reply to you.....A general statement after years of having friends and interweb posters whine and cry about reloading supplies being gone....because they were too busy buying meaningless crap when the stores were FULL.I have lost "friends" because they thought I should share my supplies....My reply-I'm not responsible for your stupidity.

#38 ·
zant….regarding your friends..."a lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on your part." A policy I have long lived by and it serves well.

I rarely buy ammo. I do buy 22LR, which I don't shoot much and, ammo for semi-auto handguns, which I soot less than 22 LR. I buy components to MAKE ammo that works optimally in my rifles and revolvers.

#39 ·
zant….regarding your friends..."a lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on your part." A policy I have long lived by and it serves well.

I rarely buy ammo. I do buy 22LR, which I don't shoot much and, ammo for semi-auto handguns, which I soot less than 22 LR. I buy components to MAKE ammo that works optimally in my rifles and revolvers.
That was the sign I had hanging over my desk......The only ammo I buy(for 25yrs) is .22 and 1 box a year of carry ammo................Funny thing is-I have 7 S/S loaders and have offered one and training to anyone that wants one-NO takers....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.