Computer security/privacy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 3:04:24 am)
    Computer security/privacy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you surf the net cookies are inserted in your memory to help the site recognize you when you return: Ok they are not evil, just annoying. BUT...there are evil cookies known as Spyware. It unbeknownst to you transmits your info and searches to advertisers and this info is illegally sold to target you by your internet search preferences. To rid your memory of this trash go to: www.lavasoftusa.com/ I have used it for years. There is a short free download or a longer paid version. I know that this and Norton has saved me many times. A Happy New Year to ALL
    Life is not:easy, fair or cheap and sometimes bad things happen to good people..:)

Edited by: teehee1 at: 12/30/02 3:09:59 am

MTaylor
    (12/30/02 9:01:01 am)
    Reply Re: Computer security/privacy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Something to add...

Cookies are not something that scans your hard drive and extracts information to send to someone else. A cookie can only store information that YOU give the web site, or the web site gives you, and only where it originates. It can keep a log of pages and dates that you visit on that site, but cannot request a cookie that another site placed on your computer.

For example, this forum uses cookies to keep your username and password stored on your computer. When you visit the forum the forum software requests the cookie from your browser which then tells the forum software who you are and what your password is. Something you already entered before. It cannot request a username or password which is stored from another site, it can only get information that it put there.

Cookies are not something to be afraid of. However, when a site stores information in cookies then that information is now stored on your hard drive and can be extracted through forensics.

My information comes from experience. I write web pages that uses cookies. I know what they can and cannot do. Cookies cannot be evil. Only the web page scripts can. And spyware is a program that makes it into your computer, and reads cookies, its not the cookies themselves. Competent virus protection is a must in this world and many programs that claim to be a protection from spyware is actualy spyware itself. Only use programs where you trust the source.

[end rant]

dksdks
    (12/30/02 9:19:27 am)
    Reply zone alarm
    try zone alarm

its a free firewall that does not allow any program to send data without your permision

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 2:24:02 pm)
    Re: zone alarm
    OK I'm not enough of a geek to know the difference but I know spyware is bad and this one picks up multiples every day. Your rant was that cookies are good: if spyware is bad why have you with your expertise not offered a solution for it?
    Life is not:easy, fair or cheap and sometimes bad things happen to good people..:)

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 2:26:28 pm)
    dksdks
    dksdks, where do I find it/them? (I located researched and just installed Zone Alarm, thanx)

Edited by: teehee1 at: 12/30/02 3:05:13 pm

dksdks
    (12/30/02 3:14:03 pm)
    Reply zone labs
    www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

note that as I was told spyware are not really affected by firewalls unless they try to contact a site themselves.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/30/02 6:50:53 pm)
    Reply Re: zone labs
    Bummer, I tried the free download, and ended-up with a 32.exe error

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 1:09:50 am)
    Reply Re: zone labs
    Thanks, teehee1, on the Lava thingy. Got it down loaded and so far so good...no more stinking commercial free loading ads coming in on my email.

But I will know tomorrow if it really works, every morning about 3 to 5 ads are waiting for me to delete.

Gunguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.