Computers woes

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

AGunguy
    (12/30/01 12:06:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Computers woes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Haven't been on line for days because this computer box of misery won't let me...unless I'm willing to set here for about 10 minutes while it finds itself and makes a connection to our forum.

Then if I want to post something, its another 10 minute wait if even works or not...mostly or not...is the end result.

I've dumped the old Netscape Navigator 4.7, and reinstalled the Netscape 6.2 crapola...which I originally lost the old 6.1 crapola.

This computer of mine use to be really fast, now it is really slow...or no workey at all.

I have no one to blame but myself, I'm just not good enough with these machines to figure out what's wrong with it.

GP, Dan, spent a lot of time with me over the phone trying to scope it out. But so far, nothing is doing it any good. Thanks, Dan...for you kind help and consideration in helping me.

Main problem seems to be internet connection speed, especially to web sites. Not sure yet if my incoming mail is working or not.

But that's why you haven't seen old keyboard jaws on the forum lately.

Enjoy while you can, I'll be back.

Jim

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/30/01 12:17:29 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Computers woes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hurry back AGunguy - I have missed you and your delightful comments.

I sure hope you can get your computer figured out and up and running again properly (and very soon).
    TLynn

Zigzag2
    (12/30/01 12:26:17 pm)
    GG, have you tried removing your adapter?
    >start< >settings< >control panel< >network< >adapter<

gpostal
    (12/30/01 1:06:46 pm)
    i ran him through alot of things ,my conclusion is, it is his modem ,his puter is running fansastic 95%, and conects fine
    but he is connected at around 28.8 and his down load is oh so slow ,28k is all you you will get out of a 56k voice/fax
    modem

although it could be a switch somewhere in his configuration ,with out being there it is hard to direct someone around to it ,i suggest deleting the current driver and re-installing it first ,due to the fact his son deleted a bunch of files {games} .with out using a un-installer ,and might have deleted a key component

i also got him to his EI browser ,but it was no diferent

he is also running the dreaded windows ME

i have seen modems do this before a total fry

and the same result with incomplete files/drivers

i would like to check a few more things ,but it would take over a hour of long distance phone calls and he has one phone line so i could get him to ping his system while not on line

very difficult sometimes when it isn't in front of you

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/30/01 2:55:31 pm)
    Defrag clean out tha COOKIES! HUH?
    Take your hard drive ta the waterways carewash!!!
    Charlie D
    OR:
    MSN Support@
    1 800 386 5550
    Ask for Terry if ya can get him

Edited by: Different name at: 12/30/01 2:57:16 pm

gpostal
    (12/30/01 3:52:27 pm)
    did that ,he reformated the hard drive recently also

gun runner john
    (12/30/01 4:30:09 pm)
    It sounds like it may be as simple as a phone line issue.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/31/01 7:32:41 am)
    postal,

What are the problems with windows me? I just picked up a new (used) computer with this OS, haven't brought it fully on line yet...it does take longer to power up than the old puter, due to more background routines (anti-virus, etc.) that the old machine didn't have, I'm guessing.

The old computer wasn't compatible with DSL, which I hope to switch over to after new years.

Thanks in advance for the heads up.

gpostal
    (12/31/01 10:49:05 am)
    hammer you will find it is not very compatible with some older software ,and software that should run ,wont ,you can't even install it

also every person who owns it that I know has had conflicts with other software ,windows me was another Microsoft innovation {test it on the people ,and not before we sell it to them}

hope you got lucky and have a good version

BlackGun
    (12/31/01 1:09:29 pm)
    Dan I sent Jim a ping program and register clean via e-mail. so I don't know he he got it or not! With ME, did you try going to system tools and taking the system back to a date before he started having problems? I use to use ME and it wasn't compatable with the software for my cam and scanner. On many occasions, I would have to take it back to a date before problems occured and it often fixed the glitch! I think it was called system restore!
    Make Peace, Not War! Share your DONUTS with your siblings!

BlackGUN