Conceal Carry while you wait for your license (Permit). Tx.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Michael R, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Michael R

Michael R Member

Friends,

First of all, let me apologize if this topic has already been discussed (I could not find it when I did a search).

The question is: are you allowed (assuming you have passed your Conceal Carry Classes and have mailed off your documents) to conceal carry while you are waiting for your permit to arrive? I suspect the answer might be different depending on state and locality. But I am wondering if my fellow Texans can opine. In fact, anyone that has any insight into this.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your wisdom.

howlnmad, Fletch.N and Rae Harrison like this.
  2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Texas law allows for its citizen to carry a firearm in their vehicle if your traveling but can not have it on you if you get down to go the grocery store, it must remain in the vehicle out of sight and hopefully secured, but the fact that you still do not have a permit physically on your body answers the question, so the answer is no.

3. Michael R

Michael R Member

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughtful answer :)

ms6852 and Fletch.N like this.
  4. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

Michael, confirming the above answer. You can carry in your vehicle but cannot carry into an establishment. You can open carry but you should know that. 30-06 and 30-07 laws are more strictly enforced than in Colorado. AND if you are stopped, unlike in Colorado, be sure to tell the officer, "I have a readily dischargable firearm in my vehicle, how do you want to handle this so that we are both safe?" He/she will appreciate it.

5. Michael R

Michael R Member

great info! if stopped for a traffic violation.. do you hand your CCL to the officer at the same time you hand over your driving license? It would seem to me that it would be a good idea, but I'm always open to sound suggestions.

6. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My rule is to give the LEO as much information as possible if stopped.

I look at the LEO as someone doing their job, so why not make the job easier, it can pay off in the end.

I am not about to kick the dog.

Larry

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I have been stopped a couple of times since I have had my Georgia Weapons License, I didn't offer information or my license. It was just a non issue!

Michael R likes this.
  8. Rob Watson

Yes, in Texas you are required to. I always kept my CHL and my Drivers license as if they were glued together. In Texas your CHL is also an acceptable as a form of picture ID and when you get a new gun, present your CHL and you don't have to go through the background check. At least, that was the way it was 7 months ago when I moved from Tomball to the mountains.

Michael R likes this.
  9. Michael R

Michael R Member

Yes that is still the case in TX, with CHL you just present that and it takes out a lot of the steps in buying a new one.

10. Rob Watson

I wish they would do it in Colorado. And you have to take a private sale to a FFL and pay a mandatory transfer fee and background check and they don't care if you have a CHL or not. De' wants da money!

Michael R likes this.
  11. Fletch.N

Fletch.N Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm in Georgia also. You are not required here by law to advise your carrying.
    I have asked many LEOs I've seen what they think. No standard answer.
    Some say they'd like to know, others say doesn't matter to them.
    IMPO, I've ran into some that are just a plain as* as some folks are. Tell them your packing and there's going to be a problem. If it's not the law, why take a chance on a hassle.

accident, Rae Harrison and Michael R like this.
  12. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

I would think that it's always good policy to let an officer know that you are carrying as it seems to me that it could turn in to a very tense situation if they happened to spot it. Too many innocent looking traffic stops can turn in to life threatening situations for LEOs so why surprise them?

JMHO

Arteest likes this.
  13. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

I'm not too familiar with Texas law, but in AZ there is no requirement to inform the officer of the presence of a concealed weapon. But since we're a state that follows the US Constitution, all within the state should be assumed to be carrying. The police know that, and (I'm told) that most do ask. Here it is a crime to give false information to a police officer, so I don't think there's any good reason not to volunteer that information; it just saves aggravation and reduces the chance of a misunderstanding.

Arteest and Rae Harrison like this.
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

in Tenn your DL # is same as CWP and will pop up when your # is run automatically

howlnmad likes this.
  15. Rob Watson

Having been out on patrol during hurricanes and major storms, when the lines are down and the dispatcher can't get NCIC/TCIC report backs, or the systems are backlogged, I would rather the individual have a physical license in his/her possession since I could not run it over the system. The other aspect with a separate license is that if a person commits a felony or serious offense the officer can secure the CHL without taking his/her drivers license. Not that I would want to but I like the options.

ScrapMetal and ms6852 like this.