Conceal Carry while you wait for your license (Permit). Tx.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Michael R, Feb 10, 2020.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

we still have a separate CWP card we have to carry in order to actually carry at all times. It just comes up when license is run.

2. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

In California you WILL tell (if stopped) the LEO that you have a CCW permit and you're packing. Better to say so ahead of time than have the barrel of a gun stuck in your face if they find a gun? :eek:
    Got a friend that headed out to get groceries. His cell rang, it was his wife so he answered it. (they're a long way from town) Cop stopped him for being on the phone. When stopped, he mentioned having a CCW and the fact that there was a gun in the car. Cop had never seen a CCW so they shot the bull for about 15 minutes and the friend showed the cop his stashed gun. Didn't get a ticket for the cell phone talk and about a week later, the Cop showed up at the range to do some shooting. :cool::)

Kvasir likes this.

3. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I refuse to pay the extreme fees (that just doubled) that Illinois charges for a permit to exercise my Constitutionally guaranteed right. So I don't carry. Don't really have a need to anyway.
    But a friend of mine does. On a trip back from the range he was driving and got pulled over for speeding. We don't get out to the range as often as we would like. So when we do, we bring a LOT of guns. He told the officer right away "I cave a concealed carry license, and I have a loaded gun on me." I added "We also have enough guns in the car to outfit a small army."
    The officer just laughed and said "I don't care about that."
    He still got the speeding ticket.

Nor Cal Mikie likes this.
  4. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

In Texas, if you tell the officer you have a CHL you will probably see their demeanor change to the better. Why? Because they know that you have been cleared by the FBI and DPS, and they have your fingerprints on record, and they consider you one of the "good guys". Unless you give them reason to believe otherwise. There are some real idiots with CHL's who think that gives them the right to be a holes toward the police officers who are putting their lives on the line to keep order.

5. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Easiest way to avoid showing is don't get pulled over! The last time I was pulled over was about 2000!

Kvasir likes this.
  6. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

Quick story, Safety is the rule. My brother was a police office, in uniform, in a marked patrol car en-route to Austin to bring a prisoner back for trial in Orange County when he was stopped by DPS. Someone had reported him for speeding, (which he was and which he admitted he was wrong). Troopers stopped him because he was out of his county which raised a red flag, not for the previous speeding report. Even still they secured his gun during the stop and interview until they were sure he was legit. So, Yes. In fact, say, "I am handing you my drivers license and CHL if you don't mind." Some will tell you right off the bat, "That's o.k., just your drivers license will do." Others will say, "Where is your gun?" Some will say, "Thank You". It is up to the officer where he/she wants to take it and also be aware that when you get your CHL in hand, the officer has the right (in Texas) to secure your firearm and licence during the stop. So, don't be offended or off handed with it. Be a decent person and be aware that it is not a violation of your 2A rights. Do it so that he/she feels more comfortable as they are probably new and antsy. As they get more capable and experience they will see CHL holders as being o.k. P.S. Make sure that if they do take them, that you get them back before you leave.

Michael R likes this.
  7. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I have been stopped before once for speeding and I always give them my CHL as well as inform them verbally. In the class I attended we were informed by the DPS giving the class that it was always best not to use the word "GUN" during a traffic stop or any scenario where you had to inform a LEO that you had one, so basically I did as he instructed on my traffic stop and used the following phrase: "I am licensed to carry, and I have one on me." The reason he gave that you never use the word "GUN" is , if the officer has a partner with him/her, the partner is always on the other side of the vehicle or wherever providing cover and support. If the other officer hears the word "GUN" things may escalate in a different direction quickly. Here in Texas well at least in San Antonio the cops seem disinterested when I informed them I had a firearm . They just give me back my licenses along with the speeding ticket.

Rob Watson and Michael R like this.