Concealed Carry Holders Should Walk Away from Confrontations When Possible

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Alaska444, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

A coupe south of Detroit area are under arrest for Felonious Assault after brandishing a gun as they began to drive away from a conflict in a parking lot.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/white-co...ling-gun-on-black-family-during-confrontation

I have been taught many times over in CCW classes to NEVER pull a gun UNLESS it is a situation that you would actually shoot. I have also been taught to avoid conflicts if possible and just walk away. This couple should have learned those lessons especially in these times. Having an absurd argument while armed is VERY poor tactics.

Apologize, walk away and don't show them your gun. Once you engage, provoke any conflict, you are already entering a zone that some prosecutors consider mutual "combat" and your self defense claims go out the window. If you are seen as engaging in the argument, you walk a very dangerous path. Better to keep you mouth shut, walk away and only respond with deadly force if you are at risk of grave bodily harm or death.

The laws are clear and they may be able to plead to a lessor charge, but their guns and their liberty are likely done, all because they didn't just drive away or walk away in the first place. Is winning an argument with ignorant people so important that a person would point a gun at unarmed agitators who clearly did not have the ability to harm you sitting in your car?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  2. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If it's CCW, no one would know you were packing. And if you pull that CC weapon because of a confrontation, you just asked for trouble. (DUH) Some people.:rolleyes::duh:

3. Nor Cal Mikie

I didn't see the cell phone video BUT, sure sounds like a racist thing to me on the part of Jillian Wuestenberg.
    To big to say "Excuse me, I'am sorry" or was it the color of the other ladies skin? :confused: Excuse me and be on your way.;)
    Maybe it's just me being raised in a different generation where I was taught that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar? Maybe it's a KARMA thing catching up to Jillian? :D:D Due unto others...;)

BlackEagle and Alaska444 like this.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

You should watch the video.
    There was a racist in it, but it sure WASN'T Wuestenberg.

5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think the white population has been pushed about as far as they are going to take. I can see a lot more of this happening. This country has spent years blaming white folks for everything. A lot of people are fed up with it.

6. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

True, but the Black lady isn't the one at risk of prison. You cannot use a gun to win an argument. Just not a smart thing to do. Getting into an argument with these folks is a losing proposition. Walk away and play another day.

7. Nor Cal Mikie

For some reason, I can't see the cell phone video. And if what you saw was true, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Still pretty easy to say "Sorry, excuse me" and move on. Beats the hell out of ending up in the slam.:eek:

8. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

The video I saw had a big gap in it. She got in the vehicle and were trying to back out of the parking. There was a lot of shaking of the phone then all of a sudden she was standing outside the car, visibly shaken, and holding a gun. No idea what happened in between but she did seem to be trying to get out of there/de-escalate.

FWIW

-Ron

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The video shown on that site had nothing to do with this post. It was about some white woman that sexually abused some other woman.

But based on the article, this is what I see that happened.

Black woman and white woman bumped into each other. Black woman demanded white woman apologize.

No apology was forthcoming.

Black family called white couple racist.

As white couple was backing out of the parking slot, black woman hit white couple's van.

Yes this was obviously the white couple's fault.

crystalphoto and shootbrownelk like this.
  10. CCHolderinMaine

The white person was attempting to leave as you say. The gun became involved when the racist tried to throw themselves under the reversing vehicle.
    I would not have pulled the gun. I would have run them over.
    However, a situation where a white person hits a black person with a car is going to create life altering trouble for the white person. In that regard you could make the leap to "felt like my life was threatened". Not saying that's my view.
    Bottom line, watch the video, it's illustrative.

11. CCHolderinMaine

The cell phone video of the incident is there. It's not in the video box, the words "cell phone video" are a hyperlink.

Alpo likes this.
  12. Aspeck

Aspeck Well-Known Member

Just watched the video and all I can say is “Wow!” Plenty wrong on both sides.

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Phone video won't come up on my laptop. Fox news video is on a completely different subject. From the incident description, it sounds like the black woman took things too far when she "tapped" on the glass of the vehicle. Having not been there, I can't say how hard this "tap" was. If the white couple felt they were threatened, they probably would have been better off staying in the vehicle and calling LE while keeping the weapons ready. If it escalated then do what you have to. Trying to keep in mind this is Detroit and there are a lot of unseen factors in the white couples decision. The biggest mistake the white couple made was leaving. Once you're gone the police hear one side of the story, theirs. Gave the black woman the perfect set up to portray herself as an innocent "victim" of racism.
    For my part, if I pull my CC I'm going to use it. In this case I don't think I would have. But I sure wouldn't have left the scene either. Nobody knows for sure what led to drawing their weapons except them. Speculation is jut that. Speculation.

Suicide*Ride and sharps4590 like this.
  14. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

If the person that pulled the gun had a way out of the fray and chose to remain, there was no self defense. Deadly force is only authorized when there is absolutely no other alternative. These folks were 100% in the wrong for pulling their weapon. They had many chances to disengage and they chose not to do it. They deserve whatever they get. That of course is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

BlackEagle and Nor Cal Mikie like this.
  15. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I saw the whole video and the whole thing was disgusting. Didn't see the bump part though. Black woman caused the whole thing in my opinion. But then there was plenty of opportunity for the white woman to walk away, looked like that was what her husband was wanting to do. In any situation where you can walk away, you should. Bad thing about being armed is you really don't have a right to protect yourself, rather you can and suffer the consequences! This country has gone to h*ll trying it's best to protect the attacker's instead of the attacked! If that garbage was to change the aggressive would be less inclined to attack! I don't see that happening This country use's the laws to protect the criminal!