The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm Nytecall new member here and new to the world of .22's as well.

Up till now I used to harass my buddies when they would talk about plinking with their .22's at work (11B in the Army btw), I'd say things like "Why don't you just buy a BB gun or throw a rock or something" But, I must say, after buying a Marlin .22LR Rifle the other day on a whim after seeing a great deal on one NIB tax free, I bought it. I've slung .50 cal out of an M2, 25mm out of a bradley, 7.62 out of a 240, and too much 5.56 out of my M4 to count...and I must say I am hooked on sitting in the same spot trying to group my .22lr inside 1/2". I can't wait to hunt some small game this spring and take it to an outdoor. I'm sure this is my first of many .22's and look forward to being an active member of the community. Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
34,287 Posts
NyteTactical, welcome to the forum! I love the .22 also. Cheap to shoot, and never underestimate the power of that little round. Gunny has suggested the .22 Mag also, and that is a good suggestion. Same bullet, but with a whole lot more punch! Not as cheap to shoot as a .22LR, but affordable just the same.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
NyteTactical, welcome to the forum! I love the .22 also. Cheap to shoot, and never underestimate the power of that little round. Gunny has suggested the .22 Mag also, and that is a good suggestion. Same bullet, but with a whole lot more punch! Not as cheap to shoot as a .22LR, but affordable just the same.
Around here, Hornady 30gr. Vmax (ballistic tip) is about $15/50rds, which is pretty much the high end for .22mag. Hot round tho, 2200fps at the muzzle, depending on barrel length, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into picking up the .22Mag originally, but when I saw the .22LR at $200 with a decent scope on it and had great reviews I decided to take the extra 100-150 or so and stock pile a bit of .22LR. Was able to get 400boxes @ $20 locally. So I put the 2 together and made the financial choice. Its been a whirlwind I picked up the .22 and a CZ-52 /w a spam can of Romanian Surplus in a matter of 24 hours and the wife was less than excited over the idea of it all but I'm sure once I get her out to the range I can change her mind.

I've also been looking at .17HMR there doesn't seem to be too much hype out there about this round. I don't know anyone that has one, but from the few reviews I've found I hear its a great 100M target round. Any Opinions?

·
Premium Member
34,287 Posts
The wife will love that pistol! As to the 17, there is rim fire, and center fire to choose from, the center fire ammo will be the most expensive. I don't own one because I don't shoot targets that much for accuracy. I mostly just shoot for SD training. The 17 from all that I've heard is a great little target rifle, but not much use for anything else.

·
Premium Member
34,287 Posts
Around here, Hornady 30gr. Vmax (ballistic tip) is about $15/50rds, which is pretty much the high end for .22mag. Hot round tho, 2200fps at the muzzle, depending on barrel length, etc.
I'm paying a little bit less here than you are, but I love the 22 magnum. Louisiana used to allow the .22 magnum for deer hunting, but changed that back in '78, or so. They added the word centerfire to the rules, and elimated the .22 from the list of weapons for taking deer.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
We can still use .22mag here on private land, although I wouldn't recommend it.

There are no firearm, caliber, or magazine capacity restrictions when deer hunting on private land in Mississippi. There are certain firearm and ammunition restrictions on some MDWFP Wildlife Management Areas and US Fish and Wildlife Service National Wildlife Refuges. Check the WMA regulations for specific restrictions. Information about MDWFP's WMA's can be found at: www.mdwfp.com/wma

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Rifle and pistol competitor, coach, hunter and plinker, learned to use the shotgun for Home Defense but my 22 gets most of my trigger time and I enjoy my Gamo air rifle. I have been known to spend hours in my shop when it was below -20 with a bb gun and a cardboard box full of wadded up newspapers. No such thing as a bad gun to shoot, they are all good from big to little, air guns to black powder. I never denigrate a mans gun choice...unless he out shoots me. :D

Stay with the 22 and it will do good things for you and all of your shooting.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
it's a great round that shouldn't be underestimated for sure; and the cheapest to shoot!

welcome to the forum from another (former) 11B

·
Banned
287 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bro! It's a lot of fun around here.
I remember my friends saying to me that at least a .22 is better than a rock. Well, yes, it is better than a rock. In fact, I'm sure you have found out just how much better if you've been doing any research. But don't mind me and my opinions. I am one of those kooks who thinks the .22 is the most versatile round in existence. Not only do I have fast shooters, but even one I refer to as my ".22 sniper rifle". Yeah, they'll do that! lol
As mentioned previous, do expand beyond the LR and be magnum capable.

·
Premium Member
22,052 Posts
I shoot my big guns and run through $100 in ammo pretty fast. Move to my .22 and can shoot all day for $25.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Every thing I ever shot with a 22, from hogs to grasshoppers either died or ran off. I have 357's stashed for shooting things that need shooting (love wheelguns), but I don't feel naked with a 22.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Caught the disease, have you? The trouble with .22s is you have no one to blame except yourself. And making little tiny holes in little tiny targets if very, very hard. But it's the most fun you can have for a $20 box of ammo.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.