Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Connecticut Valley Arms , Black Powder

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phlip2269, Mar 31, 2009.

1. phlip2269

phlip2269 New Member

The writing on it says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc Black powder Only" , 50 Cal. 0023162 It is about 16" long I think the wood has been redone. Would like to sell but have NO idea of value . THANKS for any help I am having trouble with pic, I have one on my email Added ' The barrel is octogon shaped , looks pretty good not rusty, has all parts

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, you know it's a repilca Hawken style rifle. The Standard Catalog of Firearms list it at 325 in exlcellent down to 100 as in fence post. Hoever, I feel those prices may be too generous

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Uh, Ron. Rifle? He said, "about 16" long". I'm guessing it's a Kentucky Pistol copy. And, yeah, I agree on the prices. CVA is, maybe, 75 dollars if all you can say is "it works", up to maybe 175 to 200 for "really really nice".

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You'er right of curse, I have a CVA Hwken and that was on my mind. Had a pistol, never liked it and sold it.

5. AR1911

AR1911 Member

The pistol barrel is 7" - 10" long.
    16" is rifle length, but of course the CVA Hawken style guns were probably more like 24" or so. I have two or three CVA Hawkens, but none here at work ;)
    I suppose the barrel could have been cut off. Or maybe the OP guessed at the length?
    He did say "about".

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

He didn't say "barrel is about 16 inches", he said "IT is about 16 inches". I took that to mean the entire gun, which is why I think "pistol".

7. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Ah, of course, I read the other way, obviously.
    But 16" is way big for a pistol.
    My CVA Kentucky Pistol is no more than 12" OAL

8. phlip2269

phlip2269 New Member

Sorry for the confusion , Barrel length is 9" , Overall gun length is 14 1/2 " . and I still can't figure out the pictures.

9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Philip sent me pix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, it is definitely a pistol. Philip, you told me it was a flint, but that's a percussion hammer. I'm sure the grip-enhancement is homemade, although it does look like it was nicely done. From the rust at the muzzle, I'm going to guess the entire interior of the bore is bright orange. Just looks like it wasn't cleaned well last time it was shot. If it was mine, I'd ask for a hundred and be really happy to get 75.