The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lately considering purchasing a Ruger Super Redhawk that is for sale at a local store. That considering got a little more intense when I found I could get my hands on a good amount of 44 mag rounds. Seemed like a done deal to me, just may have to eventually mount a picatinny rail to it and a scope if I ever decide to.

However, another shop I have picked up some firearms from now has a Taurus Raging Hunter. It's almost $200 less and of course already has the pic rail attached to it. I believe the barrel is maybe an inch or more less though. Would have to call and get specifics.

I still kind of prefer the Super Redhawk, but saving $250 is still not something to just discard. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
At first, I thought - that would be a hard decision. After thinking about for a little while, I think you should spend that little extra and stay with the Ruger. There is nothing wrong with Taurus, at all, but in the long haul, I believe the Ruger is the better choice with the value probably holding up better.

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
They don't hurt, much. My 21 year old granddaughter has been shooting mine for a few years, and my daughter for years before that, and it's a Redhawk without the "Super" in front of it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At first, I thought - that would be a hard decision. After thinking about for a little while, I think you should spend that little extra and stay with the Ruger. There is nothing wrong with Taurus, at all, but in the long haul, I believe the Ruger is the better choice with the value probably holding up better.
This is the sense I am getting. The Ruger seems more likely of the two to be something I can hand down to my son, or grandkids if he has them.

My advice? Shoot a 44 magnum before buying one.

Just sayin'
:)
Can't kick much worse than a 500 magnum, can it? I'll be shooting one of those tomorrow. There aren't any 44 mags I can rent anywhere.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ive had a big 44 before. I prefer the 357mag and 45acp over it any day of the week. If I feel like I need to shoot bear I use a rifle.

You will likely enjoy firing the 500 the first few times but after the wow factor is gone and you find out you cant hit as well with it, its cost is to much to shoot, and your hand gets abused for nothing you will wish you invested in something more practical. The 44 isnt as bad as the 500 but is similar. 44spl is not bad but finding ammo is tuff and hitting point of aim is not the same as with mag rounds.

If you have to have one I suggest you get the heaviest one with the longest barrel you can find. Anything under 6" would not make sense especially a stub 500 like they make.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Buy the Ruger I am not a Taurus fan. 44 mag recoil is not too bad depending on the gun and the powder load. You can always shoot 44 spl instead. I shot a 500 and a 454 Casull each one time, never again, I shoot for pleasure not pain. 44 mag is plenty in a hand gun.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Own a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. I like it. Bought it to pair up with my Ruger .44mag semi-auto Carbine. Big in to rifle/handgun combo's.

If you want to mount a scope, go with a Ruger Redhawk, they are ready to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Own a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. I like it. Bought it to pair up with my Ruger .44mag semi-auto Carbine. Big in to rifle/handgun combo's.

If you want to mount a scope, go with a Ruger Redhawk, they are ready to go.
I'm kind of thinking one day I may want a lever action in 44 mag, as I like have the idea of having a rifle/handgun combo myself (so far only in 9mm). I suppose I could go with 357, but for me 44 mag is far, far more plentiful right now.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts