The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
8,021 Posts
I have known many people that allowed themselves to be persuaded by a couple of hundred dollars less whether it is a firearm or some form of optics and when they purchased the item for less money immediately in their hearts they knew they had made a bad decision because they did not get what they wanted in the first place. Don't be one of them, get the one you want and be happy....so I vote Ruger too.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My personal opinion only. If you are going to scope it, get a Super Blackhawk. The grip is better suited to the recoil rolling up. If you scope it, you will be taking plenty of time to pull the hammer back. You don't need a double action revolver if you are going to scope it. I've always found the recoil of my Super Blackhawk with original wood grips to be more comfortable than my S&W model 29 with the Hogue rubber grips. Regardless, I would go with the Ruger, better trigger, better customer service, better resale value, better gun. Well worth the extra money.

·
Premium Member
20,664 Posts
I have known many people that allowed themselves to be persuaded by a couple of hundred dollars less whether it is a firearm or some form of optics and when they purchased the item for less money immediately in their hearts they knew they had made a bad decision because they did not get what they wanted in the first place. Don't be one of them, get the one you want and be happy....so I vote Ruger too.
So very true.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Marlin lever in 44mag. Both are very accurate. I do now stop at 44mag. No more shooting 460 Rugers on 500 S&W for me. I may mess up my 71-year-old hands for good.

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Back in the early '70's, we were planning a summer in West Yellowstone. As luck would have it, there were several Grizzly attacks that year that made the news & gave us pause to consider a bit of protection. In those days smart money said the only caliber large enough to get the job done was .44 mag. I chose a Ruger Redhawk with a 5-1/2" barrel because it would fit better in my backpack. I used half the original box of ammo to practice with. I still have the other 25 bullets I carried with on the trip. I was tempted a few times (lean years) to part with it but every time I looked at that beautiful Stainless finish with the cocobolo grips, I just couldn't pull the trigger, excuse the pun. If I had it to do all over, I would go with a longer barrel, but I still get a kick out of taking it out of my gun safe & cleaning it & remembering that wonderful summer. I don't have the same car, the same wife or the same house, but the Ruger's a keeper.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would stay with the Ruger! I have a Redhawk in .44 magnum and I absolutely love it! It is built like a tank and is actually fun to shoot. It will also retain it's value better than the Taurus...JM2C

·
Premium Member
15,221 Posts
I'd stay with a Ruger too but definitely NOT the Super. A regular Redhawk or a Super Blackhawk would be my choices. I've had both those and they're good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Go with the Ruger Super Redhawk. I have one in .454 Casull and one in 10mm. The scope rings normally are included in the box.

A friend and I meet at the gun club for theme days. We shot our .454 Casulls one day. His is the single-action Freedom Arms. We both agreed the Ruger is much more pleasant to shoot.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Gadget Electronic device Machine Multimedia Gun accessory

My .44 magnums.

Colt Anaconda
Three S&W 29-2
Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary Flattop

Wood Hand tool Tool Metal Gun accessory

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lesseeee...... the FIRST 44 mag I owned was a M29 FOUR INCH nickel..
When Gemco was still around I bought my ammo there. The "gun guy" :rolleyes: there showed me some ammo that was on sale. Came 20 to a box.
This was before they labeled 44 mag for RIFLE ONLY !!

Well, I took em out shootin.
Hurt my thumb so bad that it is STILL swollen and arthritic to this day.

HORRIBLE recoil.

Then.... I got a SIX INCH M29. Shot it out of the window of my Mustang convertible.
It rared up so fast that it smacked the top bow and dented the front sight.

Then I sold it. 45 Colt is my top big bore. And I even just sold that. :confused:

45 ACP 1911. 😀 If I need more, I'll use shotgun or rifle.

Yes.... I ..AM a recoil (and .....NOISE.).... sissy! 🥵

·
Registered
391 Posts
If I were to get another 44 it would definitely be the Redhawk!
ANYTHING to dispense with that unwieldy abortion that Ruger calls the NEW single action.
A pain to load.

😀

21 - 40 of 65 Posts