The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

Registered
I've shot a friend's S&W Model 29 years ago. I agree with Harry Callahan's penchant for feeding it 44 Spl. Reloading ammo may be the answer.

Registered
Maybe a pic will help send ya in the right direction 馃槈馃ぃ View attachment 260020
My S&W 629 Classic, .44 Mag, w/ 2.5-8X ER Leupold(on 4X) w/240g XTPs at 1250fps, (I think the load was 21g Accurate No.9, I can double check this load if you are interested), grouped 3" low 50yds, 3" high at 100yds, and grouped 3-4" at 100yds. The 240g, grouped the best of the 180, or 300g XTP. The 300gr was a compressed load and if I didn't hold the handle down for about 5 seconds when seating the bullet, the bullet would rebound.
Today I'm loading plinker loads for steel/paper target loads = 200g RNFP cast, w/5.2g Clays(not Universal Clays).
This is a good practice load.
I didn't like the factory loads. Not a fan of recoil. Took 3 doe in PA hunting season w/the 240s at 60-75yds. 4X was the highest power. Not hunting with a pistol anymore. Anyone interested in the scope and mounts?

Maybe a pic will help send ya in the right direction 馃槈馃ぃ View attachment 260020
The Hogue Monogrip help take out the sting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The best bear spray is an Uzi.
:eek:
Funny you should mention that. I know a little store within 30 miles of me that had an older one for sale at $2500. The price kept me from seriously asking about it at the time although admittedly I was more intrigued by the Mauser C96 in his case (also out of my price range at the time).

Premium Member
You could switch up and go with this hand cannon = Desert Eagle 44 Mag. A totally impractical hand gun, but tons of fun to shoot and because it weighs almost as much as a compact car, recoil is very manageable ;)
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Grey

Registered
I've had 29s, 629s, Hawes (Sauer) Western Marshalls, Redhawks and Super Blackhawks. They're all good 44s. I mostly shot full power 240-300 grain loads through them and never anything lighter than full power 44-40 level loads.

The single actions are kinder to the hand because they 'roll up' instead of chopping the web of the hand and inside of the thumb knuckle. One of my all time favorites is this mid-70s Uberti Cattleman with the 1860 grip frame. Six Winchester 240 grain magnum JSP, 100 yards.

Registered
Of those two, I'd pick the Super Redhawk. You never know with a Taurus what you will get; maybe a good shooter and may have problems and then you have to deal with their customer service. I traded one off rather than do that a few years ago and it was an older one with a life time warranty. They had installed the barrel at a small angle pointing and shooting left. It took an experienced eye to spot it but someone got sloppy. Problem is, they have a spotty reputation for quality control. Some folks love them and some would never waste their money on one again.

Personally I never cared for the looks of the Super Redhawk and always thought it was way too heavy. But then I had a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44mag and it only weighted an ounce less, so looks are deceiving. Of course the hunter has a full length rib over the length of the barrel that adds the extra weight.

My favorite Redhawk was the 5.5" model. I much preferred it to the longer 7 1/2". I was faster and more comfortable with it at bowling pin matches. Things may have changed over the years but they could never be made as smooth as a Model 29 S&W but they were much stronger.

If I only wanted a .44 mag for hunting though I'd pick a TC Contender for its accuracy and higher velocity. For just pure enjoyment, I'd go with a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP in 4 5/8 or maybe 5 1/2 if they make one in that length.

Registered
Of those two, I'd pick the Super Redhawk. You never know with a Taurus what you will get; maybe a good shooter and may have problems and then you have to deal with their customer service. I traded one off rather than do that a few years ago and it was an older one with a life time warranty. They had installed the barrel at a small angle pointing and shooting left. It took an experienced eye to spot it but someone got sloppy. Problem is, they have a spotty reputation for quality control. Some folks love them and some would never waste their money on one again.

Personally I never cared for the looks of the Super Redhawk and always thought it was way too heavy. But then I had a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44mag and it only weighted an ounce less, so looks are deceiving. Of course the hunter has a full length rib over the length of the barrel that adds the extra weight.

My favorite Redhawk was the 5.5" model. I much preferred it to the longer 7 1/2". I was faster and more comfortable with it at bowling pin matches. Things may have changed over the years but they could never be made as smooth as a Model 29 S&W but they were much stronger.

If I only wanted a .44 mag for hunting though I'd pick a TC Contender for its accuracy and higher velocity. For just pure enjoyment, I'd go with a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP in 4 5/8 or maybe 5 1/2 if they make one in that length.
The Ruger convertible is the one I just sold.
The ACP cylinders don't like lead bullet reloads. Apparently, the chambers can be lengthened a tadfor lead reloads.
At first rims wouldn't clear the loading gate even with factory ammo and would lock up everything. Sent back to factory and was fixed.
Never could accept that stupid loading procedure.
A 3 screw is my kinda Ruger.
I was disappointed with it so now it's gone.
:giggle:

Registered
The Ruger convertible is the one I just sold.
The ACP cylinders don't like lead bullet reloads. Apparently, the chambers can be lengthened a tadfor lead reloads.
At first rims wouldn't clear the loading gate even with factory ammo and would lock up everything. Sent back to factory and was fixed.
Never could accept that stupid loading procedure.
A 3 screw is my kinda Ruger.
I was disappointed with it so now it's gone.
:giggle:
I never had that problem with mine. Actually, the .45 acp cylinder was the more accurate for me and that was with cast lead reloads. Even Ruger messes up once in a while.

I was the middle man on an old 3 screw .41 a long time ago. I wouldn't mind having one to this day and probably would if there were more of them around at decent prices. I just never cared for that purple tone to the steel many guns had back then.

Registered
I'm kind of thinking one day I may want a lever action in 44 mag, as I like have the idea of having a rifle/handgun combo myself (so far only in 9mm). I suppose I could go with 357, but for me 44 mag is far, far more plentiful right now.
Been there. Started .44mag back in the 70s & now shoot the gun yer looking at. Bought a lever rifle like yer thinking of & enjoy it. Shoot mostly 44 specials but more accurate with mags at close to full power. Pistol like lead boolits but rifle leads up even with hard cast over 900. Jackets & plated do fine. I got the Marlin riffle cuz it felt & looked better that Winchester.

Registered
I have no desire to shoot a .500, ever. A friend had a .460 S&W that he let me shoot once. That was the second most painful gun that I ever shot, so I know that a .500 would be worse.
And some jacka55 huys trick their wives/girlfriends to shoot one--"oh they dont kick" and there goes another new shooter gun owner supporter.

Premium Member
My 44 mag is not a lot of fun to shoot a lot of rounds out of. I usually shoot one or two cylinders and then put it away. I bought some of those cowboy action rounds and the recoil is much less. They are like shooting 44 Specials. They sort of take the fun out of it.

Registered
I have a Ruger SuperRedHawk in .454 Casull. I put a rail on it to mount a red dot sight. Shooting it with 300 gr. Hornadys was never fun. Now it gets a steady diet of .45 Colt reloads. Now it's fun to shoot, and I can load those .45 Colts to surpass the .44 magnums if I feel like it.....I don't do that anymore these days.

Registered
^^^
I did when I realized I wasn't going to hunt with it anymore. It brought enough for all the concealed carry classes, license, a snub and a small 380. The only .44 I carry now is a 5 shot, 3" .44 Special. But, I enjoyed mine while I owned one. The first deer I took with it was at 115 yards with a hot 180 gr XTP.

Registered
OK, so I just going to give you some old man experience. Over the decades I have owned Ruger, Colt (Anaconda) and S&W double action 44 mags. I also have and still own two Ruger SA Super Blackhawks (one custom) and a Freedom arms 44mag. All of the double actions were well built, great guns but they are gone. I did not like the double action hump pounding the web of my hand when shooting hot hunting loads. I did not like the extra carry weight they had over the SAs. The only real advantage to the DAs was the ability to shoot 6 very inaccurate and painful rounds quickly.
The truth is that unless you are just playing around you will never have the need to shoot DA with a 44mag or any other heavy magnum revolver. Well placed SA shoots (even with a DA) are the way to go. Heavy magnum revolvers are not for getting into a running fire fight.
The SA design allows the revolver to roll up instead of punishing your hand. I find I can re-cock, reset and shoot with accuracy far better with my SAs. Now it might just be me.
As far as Taurus goes I have owned 4 and was not happy with any of them. None were a 44mag though. I have found with Taurus that their quality is either a complete hit or a complete miss. There is no in between. Maybe their revolvers have gotten better over all but I refuse to own one.
Buy a Super Blackhawk I think you will be very pleased,

Registered
If you鈥檙e mind is made up to by a 44, buy the Ruger. It will hold its resale value.
It鈥檚 a handful for sure. Just a fun powerful hand gun. Target reacquisition will be considerably delayed. But you can kill anything that needs killing with it.
I ran up on a guy back in 鈥01 or 鈥02 in a pinch and picked up a Vaquero 44, for $200.
Ruger doesn鈥檛 even offer a Vaquero in 44 mag now, as far as I know.
It鈥檚 fun.
Enjoy!

Registered
Here's my two 44 mags a Virginian Dragoon and Winchester 1894-1994 Model. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as Arthritis in my hands so the handgun does not get fired much. The rifle is a fun gun to shoot. I'd love to take it on a hog hunt.
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

41 - 60 of 65 Posts