The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Maine; if I decide to get a suppressor, it will be for a .308 rifle, and I don't want something that I have to fool with very much. Any recomendaions?

· Registered
326 Posts
Maine;

Have you ever used your rifle suppressor on an SBR? If so, does that seem to gunk it up any quicker?
Like this? Though not a SBR it is a machine gun and there fore length is irrelevant. And no I put 6 plus cases ( 1000 rounds a case ) of dirty nasty Wolf ( cause it is cheap ) this summer and have zero issues. Even on a semi a SBR will make no noticeable difference in build up. Unless it is a rimefire of course.

· Registered
326 Posts
Maine; if I decide to get a suppressor, it will be for a .308 rifle, and I don't want something that I have to fool with very much. Any recomendaions?
What are you going to shoot?
Semi or bolt?
How much are you going to shoot? IE mag dumps out of the ar10 or 10 shots out of the bolt rifle every 3rd weekend?
And the BIG question how much do you wanna spend?

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
talked to the guys from gem-tech, they told me their sealed cans for 5.56 were perfectly fine shooting .22lr. the guy i spoke with told me his personal can had over 10,000 rounds of .22lr and 5,000 rounds of 5.56 through it and hasnt had any sort of significant decrease in performance. i was also informed that you can soak a sealed can in cleaner designed for suppressors and it works just as well as cleaning a servicable one.

· Registered
326 Posts
talked to the guys from gem-tech, they told me their sealed cans for 5.56 were perfectly fine shooting .22lr. the guy i spoke with told me his personal can had over 10,000 rounds of .22lr and 5,000 rounds of 5.56 through it and hasnt had any sort of significant decrease in performance. i was also informed that you can soak a sealed can in cleaner designed for suppressors and it works just as well as cleaning a servicable one.
You where LIED to!!! They also made the outback for many years sealed saying there was no need to ever clean a 22 suppressor.

Will it work to quiet the firearm yes. Will it work as well as a 22 suppressor NO. Will the build up be more in the 5.56 can if you shoot 22lr YES. Can you use "the dip" to clean out lead from shooting 22lr in a sealed can YES. Remember "the dip" can ONLY be used on ALL STEEL cans it will eat aluminum cans. Ever the best cleaner out there will NOT remove all lead and fouling form shooting 22lr through a rifle can. Here are a few pictures of what builds up after a couple thousand round of 22lr this is one of MY suppressors. Please tell me how anything would clean this out of a SEALED can it is lead and carbon and hard as a rock.

Before you vote tomorrow Obama says he believes in the second he lied to.

FYI this is a MY PERSONAL GemTech outback2 I bought several years ago. It has been jailbroke to allow cleaning.

These are what they look like AFTER soda blasting.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
What are you going to shoot?
Semi or bolt?
How much are you going to shoot? IE mag dumps out of the ar10 or 10 shots out of the bolt rifle every 3rd weekend?
And the BIG question how much do you wanna spend?
Haven't even begun to shop yet, so I don't really know what they sell for. However, I want quality, not junk! I have both a bolt gun, and a semi-auto, but was thinking about suppressing the bolt gun for hunting.

· Registered
3,484 Posts
I just hate it when I see the panties getting knotted up !!!
Rodney King is dead......and our attitudes towards one
another surely sometimes proves it.
And it ain't just here....it is widespread. I still hate it.

· Registered
326 Posts
Haven't even begun to shop yet, so I don't really know what they sell for. However, I want quality, not junk! I have both a bolt gun, and a semi-auto, but was thinking about suppressing the bolt gun for hunting.
As with any person new to the suppressor arena I recommend a quality 22lr suppressor for you first. This can be moved form any 22 pistol or rifle you have and will get allot of use.

· Registered
11 Posts
Ok bad information here. DO NOT use a 5.56/ 223 suppressor especially non serviceable ones in a 22lr! 22lr are VERY dirty if you put those rounds through a sealed 5.56 can your going to gunk it up.

If you want to buy a suppressor the best bang for your buck to start with is a USER SERVICEABLE ( take apart ) 22lr can. Do the research there is a difference between brands you want to get the one that does the best at what it does.

I own a outback ii mine has been jailbroke ( made user serviceable ) but it is a great suppressor though there are better choices. The more you plan on using it the more you need to clean it.

The "oil filter" thing is a bad idea for legal reasons.

A suppressor IS a firearm according to the ATF so you buy one you get the tax stamp and you can put it on any firearm you wish to. The only exception is if you want to avoid a two stamp SBR you can permanently attach the suppressor the the short barrel making it the legal 16" or more and then it woudl not be a SBR however then you woudl be unable to move the suppressor between weapons.

You can use a suppressor on any smaller caliber as long as it is within specks for pressure. Again do NOT use any sealed large caliber suppressor on a 22lr.

As for threads 22lr and 5.56 both use 1/2x28 as the standard. The issue is with LENGTH! Most 22lr threads are .400 the AR threads are .600. If your 22lr is threaded to long you will erode the blast baffle. These a GENERAL sizes the suppressor you buy will tell you what size ( remember thread size includes LENGTH ) you need to make it work best.

Also another note on caliber swapping. Suppressors have there bore cut to the caliber they are designed to work with. Using a suppressor with a larger then needed through hole will decrease the effectiveness of it.
Well said!

· Registered
66 Posts
Ok bad information here. DO NOT use a 5.56/ 223 suppressor especially non serviceable ones in a 22lr! 22lr are VERY dirty if you put those rounds through a sealed 5.56 can your going to gunk it up.

If you want to buy a suppressor the best bang for your buck to start with is a USER SERVICEABLE ( take apart ) 22lr can. Do the research there is a difference between brands you want to get the one that does the best at what it does.

I own a outback ii mine has been jailbroke ( made user serviceable ) but it is a great suppressor though there are better choices. The more you plan on using it the more you need to clean it.

The "oil filter" thing is a bad idea for legal reasons.

A suppressor IS a firearm according to the ATF so you buy one you get the tax stamp and you can put it on any firearm you wish to. The only exception is if you want to avoid a two stamp SBR you can permanently attach the suppressor the the short barrel making it the legal 16" or more and then it woudl not be a SBR however then you woudl be unable to move the suppressor between weapons.

You can use a suppressor on any smaller caliber as long as it is within specks for pressure. Again do NOT use any sealed large caliber suppressor on a 22lr.

As for threads 22lr and 5.56 both use 1/2x28 as the standard. The issue is with LENGTH! Most 22lr threads are .400 the AR threads are .600. If your 22lr is threaded to long you will erode the blast baffle. These a GENERAL sizes the suppressor you buy will tell you what size ( remember thread size includes LENGTH ) you need to make it work best.

Also another note on caliber swapping. Suppressors have there bore cut to the caliber they are designed to work with. Using a suppressor with a larger then needed through hole will decrease the effectiveness of it.
excellent advise. ive heard of welded cans going back to the maker weighing several pounds, lead buildup from 22s.
im not trying to keep anyone from buying a suppressor but they arent all they are cracked up to be.
i think 22 cans are the best and a can on a bolt gun is good but a can on anAR, an m1a, and such, will burn your eyes SO bad its not funny. especially in full auto. dump a 30 rd mag and you will be firing the last 10 rds with your eyes closed and crying.
any supersonic bullet is still going to be loud. you may not need hearing protection but its not quiet. it will confuse the enemy and make it harder to tell where you are.
subsonic heavy bullets work the suppressor the way it is meant to work. im going with reloaded 220 gr 762x39 but 300 is really cool. a quiet shot and a hard heavy thwack on the hill behind the target.
thats my experience, believe it or not.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.