The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been carrying for about 1 1/2 years now and have ran into a situation. My new job affords me the opportunity to carry almost everywhere I go but I do wear business dress (shirt tucked in slacks). I carry a Ruger SR9c in a N82 Tactical IWB holster but now that the weather is warming up (even here in Western Washington) I am finding it uncomfortable to leave my suit coat on in certain situations.

I am considering ankle carry for these situations where I may have to shed my coat. So I am looking for advice on what to look for in an ankle holster (i.e. comfort, retention, style, etc.) I am currently considering a S&W Bodyguard 380 but am open to suggestions here as well. I want something fairly small on my ankle (at least I think I do; that's why I am here).

Anyway, I appreciate all your thoughts on this topic so I can start shopping for a firearm and holster since it may take a while these days.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,338 Posts
Many years ago, I carried a small revolver, Colt agent, I think. But anyway, it was very inconvenient. It will be very hard to reach if you need to grab it in a hurry, as you would have to squat down or lift your leg up to reach the holster. Even though that Colt was small, it was kinda heavy which caused the holster to end up riding right on my shoe every few steps. When it did that, it was no longer concealed when I sat down. I just got tired of it after a while. It would be just as easy if not easier to get a pocket holster and carry in your pocket.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I tried ankle holsters, honest attempts at every day carry, several times but every time I ditch the idea.

Even with tiny/lightweight guns, they wind up flopping around and if you get them tight enough to not flop around/sag down, they are uncomfortable as hell. Maybe there's something out there that works better than what I've tried, but I've even made custom ankle holsters but to no avail.

Just my dos centavos on ankle holsters...

·
Registered
97 Posts
First of all if your going to carry from an ankle holster you are going to be best suited with a small revolver and light as well. If god forbit you have to draw from the ankle the last thing your going to have time to do is release a safety or even more time consumeing charge the action to chamber a round lift the gun to eye site and fire. and for the more or less novice that is a whole lot of time burning . You may want to look at something like the judge far less time and practice involved. Just one instructor's ideas.

bigdad5

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried ankle holsters, honest attempts at every day carry, several times but every time I ditch the idea.

Even with tiny/lightweight guns, they wind up flopping around and if you get them tight enough to not flop around/sag down, they are uncomfortable as hell. Maybe there's something out there that works better than what I've tried, but I've even made custom ankle holsters but to no avail.

Just my dos centavos on ankle holsters...
i agree somehow the quote didnt go with my post but i will figure it out. LOL . i also want you to understand walking fast and running will not be an option. i did once many years ago see one that did work but it was a under the foot semi solid web belt style that also came up the sides of the ankle to add stability . that is the only one i ever saw and it may have been home made i just dont know. point two you will need a very light revolver not an auto . a darenger would work but two shots hummmm not the best idea. anyway good luck

bigdad5

·
Super Moderator
28,034 Posts
Blackhawk makes one that straps around your leg with velcro just above your ankle and has something like a sock garder to keep it from sliding down. I use one for my derringer back up.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
Detective of my acquaintance back east made the following observations regarding ankle holsters: if worn on the inside of the ankle it'll be banging into the opposite leg; worn on the outside it's usually fairly obvious; in a right handed draw from a holster worn on inside of the left ankle you're bending over and throwing yourself completely off balance at the least opportune moment, and you're exposing the back of your head and neck to whoever is confronting you - you can't keep your eyes on the bad guy and the holster's safety/strap at the same time; and last but not least, in a real pops-out-of-nowhere SHTF situation, if the opposition's within 20 or 30 feet he'll be on top of you in a heartbeat. He wasn't a big fan of ankle holsters, and he'd been working the mean streets carrying two .38 revolvers and a High Standard .22 Magnum derringer for the better part of 20 years.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
yeah, ankle holster plus right handed equals wear it on the inside of your left ankle.

but it's not a comfortable option, and like said, you want the smallest, lightest revolver you can get. A titanium frame 38 5-shot would be good or a small auto like Ruger's LCP in .380 or Keltec or similar.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I started carrying a charter arms in an ankle holster back in the early 80's. These fine little revolvers weigh right at a pound and are about as heavey as you want to get. I've also tried small pistols (PPK/ Keltek PF-9) and while they can be made to work in an ankle carry, lint from your socks etc will tend to build up in very short order. I've carried in a Milwakee Leggster and an Uncle Mikes and once you get use to them I've never been made cause they printed nor had it bang into my other leg. Of course I wear boots. Pull on non lace up. Cowboy, wellingtons and engineer boots. These help to break up the outline and also provide an emergency place for the gun to fall to in case the velcro loostens and the holster slips.

Still have the Charter and wear it once in a while. One thing a lot of folks forget is that when sitting behind the steering wheel a leg holster puts your gun hand very close to the holster for an easy draw

·
Registered
573 Posts
I only use ankle carry (Walther PPK) if I am wearing the lace-up military or tactical style / 5.11 boots. The holster would be on my leg above the boot and the top of the boot would stop the holster from sliding down. Twenty something years ago that was how I carried my BUG while on duty. Then I started carrying it in a holster that fit on my inside the shirt body armor between my uniform shirt and the body armor. Nowadays I rarely dig out the old ankle holster, but I have used it a few times in the past year, still with the PPK. Never let the holster ride low enough that it rubs on your ankle bone. That is painful.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I could never get use to my ankle holster so I gave up. It kept flopping around and slipping down. Also, the gun gets very dirty very fast. Something no semi-auto needs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Before deciding to go ankle holster for sure have you considered just carrying in the pocket. If you are looking at Bodyguard size semi-autos, most of those can easily be placed in suit pants front pockets with very little if any sign that you have a firearm... especially with many of the pocket holsters that are designed to break up the outline of the gun. But I have MANY friends that carry 380 pocket pistols (Bodyguards, KelTec PT3AT and the Ruger LCP) and they just drop then in their front pants pocket and go right on their merry way.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i ankle carried for years and hated it.

i didn't wear boots then.. but if I did.. I'd get some sort of boot holster that goes on the shaft.

that said.

any of the small auto's that are like the ruger lcp? or the keltec p32 / p3at have a semi wallet holster that is nfa legal ( no top strap ) and they print like a wallet in your pants.

that's one of my main discreet carries now. i'd reccomend that over an ankle carry.

plus if you ever did have to remove it. it would look like you were removing a wallet.. and might draw less attention.. especially from the perp mugging you...

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
a semi wallet holster that is nfa legal ( no top strap ) and they print like a wallet in your pants.
NFA legal? This must've been dreamed up after I retired ('93). How or why does ATF feel it's necessary to regulate a holster design? Yeah, I know, because they can.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
NFA legal? This must've been dreamed up after I retired ('93). How or why does ATF feel it's necessary to regulate a holster design? Yeah, I know, because they can.
the original style 'wallet' holster needs to be registered on a form 4 as an AOW :)

it is fully enclosed. has a top strap and is shoot thru.,

when you pull it.. it looks like a square piece of leather 3/4" thick with a hole in it.. NFA says it does not present as a firearm.

thus this legal style you see.. the small auto's slip down into it. top slide is completely open and visible as is the muzzle.. presents as a firearm..etc.

I know.. sounds like a hill of beans.. but it makes a difference to those that make the rules. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts