The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says, converting our garage into my reloading room. Our garage is just a typical 1 1/2 car garage which means no room for stuff then a mini van,lol. I convinced my Wife to just convert it into another room in a sense. Going to gut, (in the spring), insulate, hang dry wall, install a small natural gas heater. Also going to add some storage systems for her so we free up some room in our basement. All in all should be a nice place to go reload, plus it gets the powders out of the immediate house.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should start a reloading room pictures thread so you can get some ideas before you start your renovation and/or building your bench it is always nice to see what others have done that might give you a little inspiration for your setup.

·
TFFWPP President
14,294 Posts
as for storing household stuff I made shelves above my overhead doors. one end is attached to the header above doors and the other is attached to the ceiling joists. after all, it is wasted space.

when my nephew moves out I will turn his room into my gun room/office. 12x12 with a 7' ceiling. the closet will be transformed into a cross between a safe and a cabinet that should suffice for 2 or 3 years.

if you could make a diagram on graph paper showing outlets, doors, etc. and post it we could help more. we also need to know how much and what kind of reloading you plan on. mine will have 3 benches and a desk. one for rifle/pistol, one for shotshell, and another for gun work. I will have cabinets on all 3 walls above benches with 4' fluorescent lights mounted underneath. the repair bench will have an outlet strip on the wall 4" above work surface while the reload benches will have outlets in bottom of cabinets

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I built a reloading bench downstairs in one of the empty basement bedrooms. Stays cool & dry, but too quiet. I wish I had made it upstairs where I could reload around the family. I'd spend more time at it.

·
GUNZILLA
8,415 Posts
If I may recommend, insure that you have extra insulation and if you extend air conditioner vents please ensure that the air blows away from the reloading bench not parallel or next to it. The air has a tendency to mass with the scales when measuring powder an could give you false readings if blowing towards the bench. Also extra wall electral sockets on the bench wall will be very helpful and convenient .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I already have a work bench that doesnt get much work. There is already 4 outlets and two of those are 4 outlet boxes. I have 4 cabinets already hung, going to re use them and the bench top. Just going with a "L" configuration, 6ft on the long side for reloading and 4ft on the short side for cleaning etc. Then putting a gun cabinet at the end of the short side. Shelving under the bench all the way around. Bench is going to be carpeted, some peg board here and there. As far as reloading, I'll just be reloading pistol rounds with a Dillon Square Deal B.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Like it says, converting our garage into my reloading room. Our garage is just a typical 1 1/2 car garage which means no room for stuff then a mini van,lol. I convinced my Wife to just convert it into another room in a sense. Going to gut, (in the spring), insulate, hang dry wall, install a small natural gas heater. Also going to add some storage systems for her so we free up some room in our basement. All in all should be a nice place to go reload, plus it gets the powders out of the immediate house.
Why such a concern to get powder out of the immediate house?

I would be careful also of the placement of the nat gas heater.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The heater shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's not in the immediate area and is installed correctly, mine is in a small closet in the garage with two vents to the outside and an exhaust through the ceiling. Down here the average summer temps are around 110 or more and my garage usually hits over 120 on those days and I haven't had any issues with powder or primers being stored in there. But that being said I do have plans to insulate the garage door before summer hits this year.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Sorry messed this up some how!

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum guys! Go here for pictures, and ideas of how to build your reloading bench: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53106&highlight=show+reloading+bench

And don't worry about getting the powder out of the house. It's not any more dangers there than anywhere else. Black Powder is classified as a Type A explosive, modern gun powder is classified as a propelent. Big difference. My reloading bench is in the front bed room at this time. 23 years ago it was in the middle bedroom in another home. Before that I reloaded in the living room. Forget about the carpet on the bench, spill some powder in that, and you do have a problem. How do you get it out! Have fun building that bench, and we do want to see some pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Sorry Carver. I didnt notice you posted the same link. My bad.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
It's a good link!

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
lighting, lots of good lighting.
All I have to say is I'm reloading or going to go get reloading supplies.
And my girls are like I want to help.
my 9 year old can go through the whole thing start to finish all by her self.
heres a couple of pics.
sorry didn't meen to hijack the thread, just a proud DAD.:D

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts