Coon hunt 4

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    (1/5/02 7:05:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Coon hunt 4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I should have stayed home. Sick in bed all day but the temp is up around 30 or so and figure the coons just got to be running.

The first place we went to was an abondoned farm place on the river botttom. The dogs were really raising hell and treed under and old shed. We looked that thing over from top to bottom and could not find the coon. Both dogs were stuck under the floor between the dirt and the floor joists. We got my dog Amy out but Will who is pushing 100 lbs and has a belly like me was stuck tight. He was out of our reach so we decided to leave him in his mess and check out the rest of the place.

We always carry a mirror for looking into various holes and sure enough when Mike stuck it into the stovepipe hole of the chimney there was a nice fat coon in there. I went outside and put my rifle on the top of the chimney and Mike stuck his Buckmark in the hole and let him have a round. The coon came bailing up out of the top of the chimney and I put a round into him. At that point he did a Superman leap and cleared the whole roof and hit the ground running. I took off after him hollering for the dogs. Amy was back under the building but Will had wiggled out. He came at a dead run and his lard ass tripped over the coon and sent them both tumbling. The coon got into a lumber pile that used to be a barn. Mike showed up and we were looking under boards and under the old floor. Nothing there. We were scratching our heads when the dogs hit the trail on the other side of the old fallen down barn. It did not take them long to catch him and boy did they have a fight going. Mike ran to get the pickup cause it sounded like they were running and fighting and we wanted to catch them before they got to the river. I took off running and they were a lot closer than we thought. I ran up on them and say that big old coon with Wills big fat slobbery tongue in his mouth. Will was running backwards and Amy got ahold of the coon and saved his day. Mike grabbed the dogs and I put a buddit in its head with my H&R 9 shooter.

We drove down to the river and turned them loose. It was going on 15 minutes without a peep out of the dogs. Knowing they could be over a mile away in that time we started callin them back. We then heard them faintly barking a long ways off. We jumped in the pickup and took off stopping now and then to listen. When we finally caught up with them the danged fools were treed on the other side of the river. My fat ass was not going out on that thin ice for nothing and Mike felt the same way. It is next to impossible to call a good dog off a tree so there we sat. After a while of yelling at them we started shooting our pistols into the river bank and yelling and growling. Sure enough they came back over the ice hell bent for nowheres. We caught them and beings I was sick we went home.

When driving out we saw a coon in a live trap and shot him and took him up to the farmers house and hung him up with the others he had trapped.

I pulled my back muscles tripping around in the dark like a big fat dummy and am hurting pretty bad. Going to the doctor cause I can hardly move. Just called in sick to work and thought I would sit down and see what the kids at TFF are doing
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

BGH228
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/02 7:08:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Coon hunt 4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Damn you should have stayed home!

My Links: Hunter's HideoutSportsman's ParadiseNitro's Bulletin BoardThe Firearms ForumVIETNAM MEMORIES BULLETIN BOARDOutdoor-Sportsman

cointoss 2
    (1/5/02 12:35:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Coon hunt 4
    Warpig glad you did have the ice for the dogs, the coon will sure try to drown one if they get a chance.
    cointoss2

warpig883
    (1/5/02 5:01:27 pm)
    You are right on that Cointoss. The dogs we have work pretty good in water fights. They take turns. One dog will fight until the coon climbs on its head and then the other dog will grab it. I have seen them do this time and time again. When it happens I am as nervous as a whore in church and have got wet a time or two for no reason cause the dogs always handle it.

I had a friend who lost a very expensive coonhound in the river a couple years ago. So I am always careful.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

cointoss 2
    (1/6/02 9:36:58 pm)
    The young hounds usually don't stand a chance until they have had a little fur and experience. Hehe! I remember for that matter the last coon that bit me and it was a young one, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough! I sure wouldn't want to have one on my head in the water.
    cointoss2