Corrosive Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Broomhandle
    (9/12/02 4:25:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Corrosive Ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In determining if a cartridge has corrosive primers or not, it is easy if the primers are boxer. I simply push out a primer, lay it on a freshly polished piece of steel (like an axe head) and hit it with a hammer. If the primer is corrosive, a film of rust will develop after a few days. However, with berdan primers this procedure is not feasible. I've thought of hacksawing off the head of the cartridge and then hitting it with a hammer on steel. Does anyone have a better way ?

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/02 6:54:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Corrosive Ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting...

Brings up a good question, which primers are better suited for long term bullet storage?

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Donny

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 9:53:24 pm)
    Howdy, Broomhandle - Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy and will participate in the various discussions.

Tell you what you could do, if so inclined. Rig up a little stand to fit a table vise that will hold cartridge firmly (I'm thinking of a piece of threaded iron pipe that the cartridge would snug into, with a cap that has a small hole drilled in it) that has had the bullet and powder pulled and dumped. Place a piece of steel plate in front of it and tap the primer with a small punch thru the cap hole, using a brass hammer. Should work for either boxer or berdan. I'd wear some heavy gloves and good eye protection while doing it, same as when smashing the primer on an axe head.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/13/02 6:44:56 am)
    Hello Broomhandle, and welcome to The Firearms Forum

I'm sure someone will have a definitive answer for you...
    stay tuned

In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

Packet
    (12/15/02 4:41:00 pm)
    I got an easy way to extract berdan primers. Make a wooden punch that will fit snug in the case mouth. Set the case on a wooden block with a hole that will hold the case and allow the primer to fall through. Fill the case with water, insert the wooden punch, and drive it in with a light hammer blow. The hydraulic pressure will force the primer out.