The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It strikes me as a Tactical Butcher Knife. Balance and heft is Perfect. Sharpened it up razor sharp with various grades of Diamond whetstones.

Reminds me of the scene in Crocodile Dundee when he is being mugged by two guys with a knife. "You call that a Knife?" As he draws his. "Now that's a Knife."

·
Registered
916 Posts
Very nice. D2 tool steel is an excellent choice. Is it manufactured in Spain?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I have that same Gerber. Bought on a whim when I saw it at Walmart.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sparkyv, looking at it just now, I see no markings indicating any Nationality. It definately sharpened up nicely. Seems very high quality. LOVE it.

Rlee, a Buddy/Close friend is a Knife collector, also an FFL who used to own a Shooting range in Wilmington, NC. He is moving his shop, came across these and gifted them to me. I have bought a pretty good amount of Firearms from him over the years. The price was right for me.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I really like that top one. I have never heard of the IPAK brand so I did a search for it. It seems that the D2 steel comes from Japan, the knives are manufactured in England, and the sales, shipping, marketing, and warranty are in Florida. Since I am a knife lover, I am going to have to look at them a little closer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve gotten more interested in knives and flashlights this year since I can’t get guns and ammo. Just bought myself a new streamlight on cyber Monday and have a Lansky knife sharpening kit on my Christmas list.

KenK/84Bravo I need some friends like you have!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learned something. (Talk about potential for growth.) 😂
I wrongfully assumed that the D2 laser etched on the knife blade below the IPAK was the model of the knife, not the metal quality indicator. (I got them with no boxes, just wrapped in butcher paper in a padded mail envelope.)

My Buddy was packing up his gunshop to move to a new building and found stuff he had forgotten about, and did not want to move it all.

Thanks for the comments all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spine of the knife, until it gets 3/4" from the tip where it tapers to a point, is 3/8" of D2 Steel. Serious heft to it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
In your picture, the blade looks black or blued. If it is, it isn't D2 steel.

Regardless what their web site says, the knives reek of Pakistan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The IPAK knife is not black or blued. (It is the Lighting) The blade is laser etched D2.

If it is Pakistani, they have upped their game, although another Member here (gdmoody) researched the brand and came up with a different conclusion.

They were Free. I guess I should have declined to accept them. (?) 🤔

1 - 14 of 14 Posts