The Firearms Forum banner

Covering and edging reloading table top

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  howlnmad 
#1 ·
About to move a reloading table into the music room to revive my reloading hobby. I searched through the first 10 pages of the reloading forum looking for comment concerning my question.

The table top is a solid core door fastened to a sturdy frame. I want to cover the top with laminate flooring as I saw in a post here, but didn't see any comment on the table edges.
My question is: How do you treat the edges of the table and laminate? Do you just cut the locking grooves off and mount flush? I looked for suitable molding on the Lowe's website but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and even alternate tops.

#2 ·
I have not seen it done but I don't see anything wrong with your idea. Let the top laminate over hang the thickness of the material and then butt a piece you have ripped to width and glue it on the end of you door base material. Threat it just like it was Formica or a similar product should work. I have white Formica on double thickness 3/4" particle board. I went with the Formica for easy clean up but your flooring material would be much nicer looking.

Or you could get real fancy and put a 45 degree on each piece that way no end grain would show.

#5 ·
I'd cover it with the laminate and trim it flush with edge. Then I'd cover the edge with 1/2" quarter sawn white oak bringing flush with the top surface and fasten it with countersunk screws. Put either a slight chamfer on the top edge or use a 1/4" roundover bit to soften the edge. Then I would fill the screwholes with mahogany plugs for accent and finish off with a danish oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.