The Firearms Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife got a sore throat last Saturday, no fever, made a appointment to see the Doctor on Monday morning. So I am working on Sunday and I started to feel like a cold was coming on in the evening, by the middle of the night I had a raging fever and didn't feel well at all. So I called and ended up going in to be tested for covid. When my wife was at the clinic she mentioned to the doctor that I was being tested for covid, he said we might as well test you too even tho you don't have a fever. So we were both tested at different clinics and both told it would be 7 to 10 days before we would have result. My wife just got hers today and she is positive :(. She still has not had a fever and only has cold like symptoms, coughing sore throat, sleeping at least 12 to 14 hrs a day. First couple days she was pretty sick, then had a couple days she felt better, now back to a couple bad days.
Me, I still don't have my results, I ran a high (102) to low grade fever for three days and felt really sick, now it back to normal, sleeping my normal 8 to 9 hours and I have a dry cough. Still don't feel great and don't have much of an appetite.

Needless to say we are both quarantined and not working - I'll be glad when 2020 is over

Sorry about being so long winded, just wanted to give you an idea how different two probable cases of covid can look. The scary thing is that if I wouldn't have gotten sick and went in for testing then they never would have tested my wife because she did not have a fever.
Prayers with.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Just an update - On day eleven last Friday finally got my results, I am positive. I had assumed it with my on going symptoms. I am feeling better, still get tuckered out quickly if I try to do to much. The Dr told me I was free to go back to work when ever i wanted to and I met the criteria of being symptom free. Was told I can go out in public as long as I am wearing a mask. I also ask about the possibility of becoming re-infected. Dr told me that I was good to go for about 12 weeks, by then the virus will have mutated into a new form and I could get it again - Great. My wife is still struggling with this and now we think her 91 year old mom may have it, she was tested last Thursday, still waiting for the results.

Stay safe everyone, this is a nasty little virus that will steal away a good three weeks of your life.

·
Super Moderator
25,669 Posts
Just an update - On day eleven last Friday finally got my results, I am positive. I had assumed it with my on going symptoms. I am feeling better, still get tuckered out quickly if I try to do to much. The Dr told me I was free to go back to work when ever i wanted to and I met the criteria of being symptom free. Was told I can go out in public as long as I am wearing a mask. I also ask about the possibility of becoming re-infected. Dr told me that I was good to go for about 12 weeks, by then the virus will have mutated into a new form and I could get it again - Great. My wife is still struggling with this and now we think her 91 year old mom may have it, she was tested last Thursday, still waiting for the results.

Stay safe everyone, this is a nasty little virus that will steal away a good three weeks of your life.
Glad you're feeling better.

Pretty sure that you'll be able to get it again until Nov. 4th.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

1) Can you get COVID a second time? Or will you be immune?

That may not be the right question. What appears to be happening is that COVID 19 can smolder from a primary infection possibly for months. What some folks appear to have as a "reinfection" may just be recurrent symptoms from their primary infection. It does not appear likely that folks are getting a secondary infection. This is further bolstered by the positive results of convalescent antibodies from those who have recovered from the illness. That also bodes well for any future vaccines now in development.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/can-you-get-covid-19-twice-scientists-say-its-too-early-to-tell

2) There is evidence that many folks have cross reactivity with prior coronavirus infections with cross reactive antibodies. That may explain in part why there are so many asymptomatic cases.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7326438/

3) Children are not as susceptible in part due to ACE-2 receptors that are not as prevalent in children. (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme-2 receptor) The ACE receptors are a target for several common blood pressure medicines. Children do not have as many of these receptors and this is the chief entry mechanism. ACE-2 receptors are found in Lung, Kidney, Heart and other tissues. That leads to direct infection of those tissues and organs in some COVID 19 patients.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/10/coronavirus-why-kids-arent-the-germbags-and-grownups-are/

Some researchers believe that the gene variations in people may be part of the individual variation of severity from this bug.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41431-020-0691-z

I would be very careful using any NSAIDS such as Advil/Motrin/Naprosyn and other similar pain/antiflamatory medications. NSAIDS increase the risk of blood clots/Strokes/heart attacks. Blood clotting is also found in many that develop the autoimmune aspects of COVID 19 causing severe complications such as blood clots/strokes/heart attacks.

In addition, as many as 20% of those hospitalized for COVID 19 develop acute renal failure. Adding NSAIDS increases the risk of making that acute renal failure to permanent renal failure an dialysis. There are risks of Tylenol but in this instance, Tylenol is probably safer. As in all things, discuss these things with your physicians.

Lastly, we have learned much about COVID 19, but it still remains a mysterious and unique virus that is doing things we have never seen before. There is much left to learn but I would not say that medicine has no idea what they are doing. We have had the experience of millions of patients right here in the US in the last 6 months which has expanded the usual learning curves of novel viruses.

But if you listen to the fake news debates on this virus and all of the misinformation and disinformation, then yes, it would appear as if no one knows what is going on with this bug, but that is not the reality 6 months into actively treating folks with this.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,856 Posts
Was told I can go out in public as long as I am wearing a mask. I also ask about the possibility of becoming re-infected. Dr told me that I was good to go for about 12 weeks, by then the virus will have mutated into a new form and I could get it again - Great. My wife is still struggling with this and now we think her 91 year old mom may have it, she was tested last Thursday, still waiting for the results.
Thanks for the update. Thanking God you are on the mend, and will add your MIL to the prayers.

Just take it easy. Do enough to build yourself back up again but don't overdo it. Will pray for continuing healing.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,873 Posts
Good Morning All.....Here on Monday, 10 August 2020, the contest of wills in Glendale Arizona
ring supreme amongst the citizens hassling among themselves about the current medical
troubles... Our Governor Ducey, in conjunction with noted medical authorities and even President
Trump, dictates directives on business operations and now about schools opening.. Health
business groups like the work-out gyms, have even resorted to law suits against the rulings.
So very close to my wife and I is the next door neighbor ....his son updated me on his Fathers
condition ...almost 2 weeks ago he was hauled to the hospital and currently he is in a coma
and on the ventilator with bed sores having developed...sadly, there is little hope for him to
recover...Tom is in his mid-60's....diabetic Mexican...living in a multi-family home with older
and even, much younger occupants..Like I mentioned...right next door...mere feet away...street
mailboxes butting right up together....trash cans tended to once a week sharing the same
general, 'bump together' area.. Our daughter purchased us one of those scanning devices that
takes one's temp on the forehead...been using that even before Tommy got infected...Sure
enough, I'm very prone-shy that distance lends protection from any possibility of air-borne
contamination ....So far we are okay...I am going to continue being cautious...warn relatives
not to come visiting...have done that to church members already.. We pray for Tom and his
family....Chief

·
Premium Member
17,181 Posts
Hang in there Bigdog. Had my test yesterday, but don't know the results yet. No systems just getting tested prior to a some type of procedure my doc. needs to do to me.

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
Goodness. Pray and hide out I guess.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts